XP licensing question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Footer, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Footer

Footer

I have a quick question regarding the XP product key and registration/activation. I have a computer with XP pre-installed that is all messed up and needs XP reinstalled before it will run again. The recovery disk that came with my computer can only do a factory restore. I am going to take my XP disk from another computer and install it on the damaged computer (without activating it obviously) so I can back up a few important files before I do the factory restore. I just want to make sure that formatting my computer will erase any record of the second XP ever being installed, as I don't want to run into any weird licensing issues later on. Can anybody verify this for me?

Footer, Jul 18, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. Footer

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

Yes, if you do a complete reformat before doing a restore all information about the previous unactivated install will be gone.

Fenis-Wolf, Jul 18, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. Footer

James Photojournalist

Restores format your drive. Since you have another PC, take your drive from the PC you're having issues with and put it as a slave in the working PC. That way you can copy your files over.

James, Jul 18, 2004
  4. Footer

kabal2020

err sorry to but in, but how does the licence work? ive licensed about 4 times after formats now and again after new hdd install, so what does it tag? motherboard? but what if u have to upgrade that ? :-s

kabal2020, Jul 21, 2004
  5. Footer

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

After 5-6 hardware changes, your software will no longer automatically allow itself to be registered over the internet, and you have to call and talk to a person.
    It works by making a number, that is unique to your system, and sending it to Microsoft during the install. If you don't change the hardware, the number stays the same after each install, and it will allow it to register. If you change the hardware, and reinstall more than 5 times you have to talk to someone.

Fenis-Wolf, Jul 21, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question