Writing and editing VBS

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by Tosca, Oct 10, 2005.

1. Tosca

Tosca VIP Member

Hi everyone

I have XP Pro SP2 and am familiar with VBA as used in Word and Excel 2003. I've developed an interest in VBS and have lifted code from various sites, pasted it into Notepad and saved the file with a .vbs extension. So far, so good!

When I want to modify such code, or write my own, I came across Windows Script Debugger which I access from Start>Run: wscript //x <full path of script>. It allows me to step through the code but I can't write code in there. When I use VBA in Word or Excel, I am given "hints" regarding syntax etc. but I can't do that with VBS and this debugger. If I generate an error, I have to go back to the original code, modify it, then restart the debugger from Start>Run. As I don't have any hints, I'm rather in the dark concerning what the error is.

Is there any way of using this editor in the same way that I use the VBA editor? Someone said that I could use the VBA editor to write VBS but I've not been able to do that. Do others here use the MS Script Debugger that's with XP Pro or do you use other software? I'm not keen to spend lots (if I have to buy software) because I'm using this as an experiment to see if VBS is "for me". If not, I may move to try a different language. As it's similar to the VBA that I've used already, it seemed logical to try VBS.

Thanks for your time.

Tosca, Oct 10, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. Tosca

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

Well there is a FREE Microsoft program out there. thats right i did say free. It's called MS Visual Studio Express Beta 2.0 and there is a portion of it that is souly based on VB. You can create, debug, compile all your VB scripts here:

http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/vwd/

Goober, Oct 11, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. Tosca

James Photojournalist

I really don't know much about VB or VBS, but I have used an editor for VB and ASPX from www.asp.net. I assume you can use it for VB as well.

James, Oct 11, 2005
  4. Tosca

Tosca VIP Member

That's great - thanks Goober & James. I'll check them out.

Tosca, Oct 11, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question