Wireless connection icon

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tosca, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Tosca

Tosca VIP Member

Hi everyone

I have XP Pro SP2 and keep my Windows Updates current. Last night, I noticed that the wireless connection icon (PC Monitor with three curved green lines to the right) had a red cross through it. That suggested that the connection was down but I was still using the internet wirelessly without any problem. I ignored it and, about 6 hours later, the icon changed spontaneously from the monitor to what looked like an Aerial with 3 (?) curved green lines at it's upper end. Again, the wireless connection worked perfectly and had done so throughout my up-time.

I recall having had some Windows Updates a few days ago and just wondered if one of them had, intentially, changed the icon, just as I had noticed the same icon change when I upgraded from SP1 to SP2. I am using the same laptop now and the wireless connection icon has reverted to the PC Monitor with three curved lines to the right! Needless to say, I am up to date with AV, my ZoneAlarm log is clear and AdAware/Spybot S&D give a clean result.

Any idea why the icon should change to the Aerial from the PC Monitor? Is it something which I could pre-select as I quite liked the Aerial icon.

Thanks for your time.

Tosca, Jul 30, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. Tosca

James Photojournalist

It could be that you installed a driver for some sort of WAN miniport or infra-red. Go to Network connections and list of the connections you have (sort by detail).

James, Jul 30, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. Tosca

Tosca VIP Member

Hi James

I only have:

Local Area Connection (Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection) which is unplugged

Wireless Network Connection (Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network Connection) which I'm using

1394 Connection (1394 Net Adapter) which is reported as connected although I don't (knowingly) use this.

I haven't installed any drivers recently but did a Firmware Upgrade for my Netgear Router. Could this have caused the icon change - but this isn't consistent as it is the PC Monitor icon at present. It was the Aerial icon for about 2 hours last night!

Thanks

Tosca, Jul 30, 2005
  4. Tosca

James Photojournalist

Disable the Firewire (1394) connection. This is probably what you're seeing as connected/disconnected at times.

James, Jul 30, 2005
  5. Tosca

Tosca VIP Member

OK James, I've done that and the PC Monitor icon is there, as usual, confirming wireless connection. Why do you reckon it changed to an Aerial icon for a couple of hours? Has anyone else seen a similar icon indicating wireless connection?

Tosca, Jul 30, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question