Windows XP secruity

Discussion in 'System Security & Infection Support' started by Phil, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Phil

Phil VIP Member

Hello,

I currently have windows Xp installed and i just got cable internet. I downloaded Zonealarm (free version) to protect my computer against hackers and I also installed Norton Anitvirus. When you log off a user and the welcome screen is on the screen is my computer vulnerable to attacks from hackers? Should i just stay logged on so Zonealarm is alwas running?

Thanks for any help,
    Phil

Phil, Jan 8, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. Phil

undeadpenguin Bang. VIP Member

Zonealarm should still be running (if it's any good... I've never tried it so I don't know). Another good tip would be to run as a non-root user; then there's no way you could accidently install an "unsolicited executable", as Core calls them...

undeadpenguin, Jan 8, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. Phil

Phil VIP Member

yea but everytime i log in it says, "Zone Alarm is starting up you are now protected". So i dont think it is always running

Phil, Jan 8, 2004
  4. Phil

James Photojournalist

First you should not use the Welcome Screen. I would disable that to force users to CTRL + ALT + DEL to log on with a UN and Pass. Then, make sure your Admin account has a good password. Also, if you haven't, install SP1 with all the updates. If you want to go even further, make sure your using NTFS with the correct file / folder / user permissions.

If your worried about an intrusion, get a real firewall, a hardware based one. A router that does NAT will due unless you want to spend $350+ for an actual firewall.

James, Jan 9, 2004
  5. Phil

Ops VIP Member

Do what James says and pick up a router, a Linksys is nice.

Then what you do is disable services in start > run> services.msc
    Go to this page to help you determine which to turn off:
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm

You might want to get a software firewall too, to block outgoing connections.

Dont just buy your router and automatically think you are safe, go into the settings and actually configure it.

Ops, Jan 9, 2004
  6. Phil

Phil VIP Member

ok thanks for the help

Phil, Jan 16, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question