Windows Avalon preview is now available!

Discussion in 'Software' started by rafiki6, Jan 18, 2005.

1. rafiki6

rafiki6 VIP Member

I may be a bit late on this but a little while ago i realized that Microsoft has released a preview verison of their Avalon and WinFX technology for Windows Xp and Server 2003. If you wish to try it out you can go to the following website and download it. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...E1-B4CA-402B-ACCF-AAA2BD60DA74&displaylang=en. Becarefule though this is only for Windows XP technonlogy. Personally i tired it and it is great though somewhat slow. The performance depends on your computer, and by the way this is a huge file (261 mg). Any way they will release the full and corrected version of the software addons when Longhorn comes out. Please notes take all warnings into consideration before you install this program becuase from my understanding it is irreversible unless you format which i had to do until i properly installed it. If your computer is a little on the slow side i sugges not installing this right now and wait until Microsoft releases its full anf functional version. Note this is only a preview.

rafiki6, Jan 18, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. rafiki6

Snugglez lvl.49 Bone Mage VIP Member

Allow me to be naive, but because the topic. May I ask what exactly Winfx, longhorn, and avalon are? My take so far is that WinFx and Avalon are advanced programming utilities to show developers how to mainpulate things in the GUI environment. And that Longhorn is the new O.S. to be released soon.

But I dont know how many miles im off. To be honest I searched on Microsoft for about 2 minutes, but im in a hurry to go...when I come back I would be quite interested it someone could point me to the right section/site/person to learn about this.

Snugglez, Jan 18, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. rafiki6

rafiki6 VIP Member

A more detailed explanation could be found here at binary dreams in the longhorn faq section. Basically in simple terms though Avalon is the new technology (engine) that will run Microsft's interface. It is the new regulation system for the UI, and although this preview is for developers mainly, Microsoft released it to the general public, so if you want to give it a try. WIN FX will be the new file organization system. By file orginization i mean how files ares stored handled and cluster sizes e.g. Windows Xp runs on the NTFS. Apparently this new file system is supposed to be more efficient and save more sapce. These technologies will be available for XP when Longhorn ships, because they will complete and done. Anybody who has more information on this topic, by all measn intervene and correct me.

rafiki6, Jan 18, 2005
  4. rafiki6

James Photojournalist

WinFS isn't a new filesystem, it's sort of an addon. It functions more like a SQL database.

James, Jan 18, 2005
  5. rafiki6

An addon to the database? Such as fat or ntfs? Or is it a seperate database?

Snugglez, Jan 18, 2005
  6. rafiki6

James Photojournalist

No, it functions like a database. You have have multiple attributes to a file, which makes searching for files easier and finding things much faster. Channel9 or Microsoft has a good video on WinFS.

James, Jan 18, 2005
  7. rafiki6

thanks, I will take a look.

Snugglez, Jan 19, 2005
  8. rafiki6

rafiki6 VIP Member

Sorry I was thinking of Win FS and you are correct James it is a sort of addon to the current file system. Actually Win FX is graphics drivers that will ship with AVALON and are a part of AVALON graphic engine, according to my understanding.

rafiki6, Jan 19, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question