Why no MS AntiVirus?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Core, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Core

Core in pounce mode Moderator

I find it sort of interesting that Microsoft doesn't have its own virus protection and detection software product. They probably do not want to invest the money in setting up a virus research and removal tool production branches in such a heavily crowded market. But a virus scanner that was embedded in the operating system might provide a higher level of security, and it would be a logical extension to their built-in firewall.

Do you know if Microsoft has ever publicly considered publishing their own antivirus software?

Core, Sep 17, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. Core

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

Its because they know that the AV companies would be all over them for AntiTrust violations if they did that. They're on dubious legal ground as it is, they really don't need another part of the computer industry crying for their blood.

Fenis-Wolf, Sep 17, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. Core

James Photojournalist

They are coming out with their own AV application. I'm not sure when, but it's in the works. I think there's a news article about it here.

James, Sep 17, 2004
  4. Core

kabal2020

won't everyone go on the whole monopoly outburst again?

kabal2020, Sep 29, 2004
  5. Core

deftones yup VIP Member

I'm sure some people will. They just look for a reason to protest 'The Man'. I personally will stick to my AVG but don't see why they shouldn't make an antivirus

deftones, Sep 29, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question