Who knows about TCP/IP connections?

Discussion in 'System Security & Infection Support' started by theprofessor, Jan 19, 2009.

1. theprofessor

theprofessor VIP Member

If you ran a packet sniffer and you had hundreds of TCP/IP conversations and thousands of packets sent to your PC within a matter of a minute is that bad?....lol Particularly UDP ports. I mean is that normal to have that much activity with you IP even with a firewall runnin and normal programs running on PC with no web browsing?

theprofessor, Jan 19, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. theprofessor

Zeus Moderator

In a matter of minutes, that is not bad....in a matter of seconds means you have someone trying to run a Denial of Service attack on you.

Also what ports mainly are the UDP traffic originating from. Myabe DNS traffic between your computer and router (or if no router, then maybe DNS traffic betwen computer and ISP)

Zeus, Jan 19, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. theprofessor

theprofessor VIP Member

Doubt its a DOS attack since my computer runs fine and the internet isnt slower than usual. I checked some IPs on it and alot of these are coming from China and foreign countries. As far as ports they were uncommon numbers and some I rememeber were like 53. Thats DNS related isnt it? And a lot of port 80, 8080, 5050 etc....which I use YM so that explains some of that. I dont know...I was just wondering it seemed like a lot fo activity/port scannin when I have few programs runnin and not online. I mean as soon as you open a packet sniffer after reboot and D/C net with only the sniffer runnin its instantly receiving 4k or more packets/over 100 ports. Never noticed it before. Ive been experimenting more lately so maybe thats why I got more peepers...lol Thanks though!

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  4. theprofessor

danperteet I broke it again. VIP Member

80 8080 are webserver ports. i know this because i have a webserver. do you have a server?

danperteet, Jan 19, 2009
  5. theprofessor

theprofessor VIP Member

I run cable internet and use it for entertainment...nothin more.

1. Advertisements

Ask a Question