Which edition of Windows 7 is right for me?

Discussion in 'Software' started by James, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James

James Photojournalist VIP Member

Microsoft has announced that Windows 7 has RTM’d, Windows 7 will be generally available to customers around the world on October 22, 2009. There will be three editions of Windows 7 (5 technically but the general public will only have access to the three I’m going to talk about):

• Windows 7 Home Premium
    • Windows 7 Professional
    • Windows 7 Ultimate

People have asked, "What version of Windows 7 is right for me? There are four different editions and I am confused" This is a very good question and we have an answer for you.

Microsoft has created a more interactive based approach to helping you decide which edition to purchase by creating a program that will allow you to select multiple features that you want and or need; based on those selections it'll recommend the proper flavor. Paul Thurrott has put together a decent matrix of features if that's what you're looking for; if you're looking for an in-depth or simple overview of 7, Microsoft has many different books and white papers.

This posting is basically to give you an overview if you wanted to upgrade your current operating system or if you were planning on building your own computer.

***If you were to purchase a new computer as of July 1st, 2009 with Windows Vista Home Premium, Ultimate or Business can upgrade to Windows 7 for free on October 22nd, 2009- you must contact your hardware vendor (Dell, HP, etc).

***As of July 22nd, 2009 OEM prices have not been released, the OEM price will be much less than retail prices however you need to purchase a piece of hardware such as a HDD, video card, etc.

***I will update this once I read more on this, but there is going to be a family pricing discount on certain editions.

Here’s a list of sites that may be beneficial to you:

Here's a basic feature set and price of each retail version of Windows 7:

[​IMG]
    Windows 7 Home Premium:

• Upgrade Price: $119.99
    • Full install Price: $199.99
    • Windows Vista Counterpart: Windows Vista Home Premium
    • Windows XP Counterpart: Windows XP Home / Windows XP Media Center Edition
    • For home entertainment and geared towards the home/gamer/mobile user
    • Themes included are Windows Classic, Aero Basic, Aero Premium
    • Features: Windows Media Center gives you the ability to watch, pause and record TV, watch DVD and Bluray movies, share photos and videos with friends and family. Home Groups that improve home networking for file & print sharing. Enhanced network connectivity that’s much improved over XP and Vista. Jump Lists. Simplified user interface, mouse gestures and overhauled version of the Task Bar (trust me, it’s much better once you get the hang of it). (see extensive list for more details, these are just some highlights)
    • 32bit and 64bit versions on same DVD

[​IMG]
    Windows 7 Professional:

• Upgrade Price: $199.99
    • Full install Price: $299.99
    • Windows Vista Counterpart: Windows Vista Business
    • Windows XP Counterpart: Windows XP Professional
    • For business of all sizes (most likely what you will be using at work)
    • Features include everything that Home Premium has plus the ability to join domains (see extensive list for more details, these are just some highlights)
    [​IMG]
    Windows 7 Ultimate:

• Upgrade Price: $219.99
    • Full install Price: $319.99
    • Windows Vista Counterpart: Windows Vista Ultimate
    • Windows XP Counterpart: None
    • For home power users
    • All that is included in Home Premium plus it gives you the ability to join an Active Directory domain, bitlocker encryption, Windows XP Mode for virtualization of incompatible applications (very few are incompatible with Windows 7), EFS file encryption, Remote Desktop Hosting. (see extensive list for more details, these are just some highlights)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
    James, Jul 23, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question