What I have found that works for me

Discussion in 'System Security & Infection Support' started by leadarrows, Jan 11, 2004.

1. leadarrows

leadarrows American VIP Member

I found a very informative site. I am still reading info there. They have a tester that's pretty cool.
    http://grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2
    I run these programs and have paid subscriptions to each.
    I think it's worth it because I have no pop-ups and I passed this test 100%.
    I'll list the programs and give there subscription price.
    1. Spy Sweeper
    Version 2.2.0 (Build 44) using software definitions 315
    Full Program
    http://www.webroot.com
    Subscription Price: Including down load of software. $29.95 Per year
    2. Ad-aware version 6
    Ad-aware Professional Edition
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
    Subscription Price: $39.95 for 2 years
    3. Norton System Works
    Program cost: $69.95 Subscription Price:$26.20 Per year
    4. Registry Mechanic 2.1
    http://www.winguides.com
    $19.95
    5. Pop-Up Stopper by PanicWare get it at wal*Mart for about $10.00
    6. The Goggle tool bar is safe and has some nice features like a Pop-Up blocker and a auto fill tap that fills out your name and other info onto on-line forums and such.
    It's Free at : http://toolbar.google.com/
    For a total cost of........about $200.00 pulse change in tax.
    expensive yes but I have zero pop-ups and look what I scored on the security test.
    "

Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.

"
    Other test results:
    Your Internet port 139 does not appear to exist!
    One or more ports on this system are operating in FULL STEALTH MODE! Standard Internet behavior requires port connection attempts to be answered with a success or refusal response. Therefore, only an attempt to connect to a nonexistent computer results in no response of either kind. But YOUR computer has DELIBERATELY CHOSEN NOT TO RESPOND (that's very cool!) which represents advanced computer and port stealthing capabilities. A machine configured in this fashion is well hardened to Internet NetBIOS attack and intrusion.
    Unable to connect with NetBIOS to your computer.
    All attempts to get any information from your computer have FAILED. (This is very uncommon for a Windows networking-based PC.) Relative to vulnerabilities from Windows networking, this computer appears to be VERY SECURE since it is NOT exposing ANY of its internal NetBIOS networking protocol over the Internet.

I just thought you might find this informative.

PS.....James and some others on this site have been a great help and are probable the source I learned most of this from. I don't remember where all I read what for sure but I know a lot of it came from here. Thank you for all your help. My computer has never been less frustrating. LOL:thumbs This post is intended to let every one know how using these tools has worked out for me.

leadarrows, Jan 11, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. leadarrows

James Photojournalist

GRC is a good site for probing ports, it's great. I haven't used any of their other software though. I never get pop ups unless I click on a pop-up window. I use Firebird, no pop-ups, and very few spyware.

What do you get in the Ad-Aware Pro edition that you don't in the free edition?

James, Jan 11, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. leadarrows

leadarrows American VIP Member

What do you get in the Ad-Aware Pro edition that you don't in the free edition?
    That might be hard for me to answer but I will try. I don't remember for sure what all I got extra. The ability to get down loads of the latest updates is the main reason for me. I don't think the Ad-Watch feature works on the free version either. Here's whats listed in the help manual.....

What's new in Ad-aware version 6?

· Leading anti data-mining utility, features the best maintained and updated target base

· Targets hundreds of systems and thousands of variations

· All new, vastly improved, in-depth scanning engine

· Includes an Advanced process browser full supporting installed extensions, linked to the in-depth scan engine

· Fully customizable automated scanning modes

· Webupdate module now fully integrated into the Ad-aware interface

· Entirely new, highly improved user interface

· All new plug-in concept allows for powerful expandability and updating without the need to download a new core-application

· Automatic quarantine (backup) function capability

· Enhanced logging capabilities

· Powerful tweaking options allows tweaking all aspects of Ad-aware

· Extended in-depth registry scans

· Exporting and printing of HTML reports

· Powerful command line options, to load config scripts and referencefiles from, and send logfiles to remote drives

· Blocks Browser hijacker attempts, Active-X installations, IE save attempts, and unauthorized auto start entries

· Includes a Popup stopper with customizable black-list

· Smart process-blocking, including filter lists

· Enhanced menus providing many more options.

· Plus many other enhancements!

* Page Ad-Watch Options (Ad-aware Plus+Professional only)

· Load Ad-watch on windows start up - Ad-watch will start on Windows start up.

· Ad-watch window always on top - The Ad-watch window will remain in top of other open windows on the monitor screen.

· Realtime accuracy - Determines the thread priority level under which Ad-watch runs, and the speed at which Ad-watch responds to detected attacks. Basic, Medium or High. High being the fastest response.

· Lock startup sections in registry - The start up (run) section of the registry will be locked. No changes will be permitted.

· Block possible browser hijack attempts - Stops suspicious files from attaching to and taking over the browser.

· Block suspicious processes - Ad-watch will block all suspicious processes on the system.

· Lock executable file associations - Blocks the most common file associations (used by worms and viruses) so that they cannot stealthily change .exe file associations.

Note: The registry blocking also works while Ad-watch is not running.Upon next start, Ad-watch will detect changes in the monitored sections, and generate an alarm if it has been compromised.

leadarrows, Jan 11, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question