What do you think of Microsoft Security Essentials?

Discussion in 'System Security & Infection Support' started by Ian, Oct 29, 2009.

1. Ian

Ian Administrator

Is anyone here using the new MS Security Essentials anti-virus package?

I tried it out on a PC here, but because it wasn't infected and doesn't have a chance to prove itself I can't really judge it.

Would be really interested on your thoughts on this new software if you've given it a go :)

Ian, Oct 29, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Ian

Core in pounce mode Moderator

I gave it a go. Using AVG now... Meh.

I honestly can't say whether it works well or not. Prior to trying it out I had been using Norton Internet Security 2009. Norton was particularly good about detecting trojans in the massive volume of spam emails I get, it was always removing trojans and viruses and telling me about it, so I knew it was doing something.

With the Security Essentials or whatever, it never told me anything. I can only assume it did run scans on incoming emails, but it certainly never alerted me to finding anything, so it kind of gave me the creeps after having been using a much more verbose product. I did like the fact that it seemed to be light on the resources, but again, a program that doesn't really do anything shouldn't use much resources anyway.

When I reformatted my computer I switched to AVG. NIS 2010 is great too but I am trying to find ways to slow down the "slowing down" of my Windows system, so I am trying AVG right now.

I'd be glad to see some rigorous and thorough testing of Security Essentials by PC World or some other website.

Core, Oct 29, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Ian

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

There is one way to test it Ian ;)

I gave ForeFront a shot but the virus was pretty nasty and none of the other AVs that I used could get it either.

Goober, Oct 29, 2009
  4. Ian

Ian Administrator

Haha, I don't feel like taking a chance just in case it doesn't work :lol2

Ian, Nov 1, 2009
  5. Ian

danperteet I broke it again. VIP Member

My impression of it, is an automated version of the malicious software removal tool. Maybe a little more powerful but not really all that concerned with it right now. I am gonna google to see if there are any reviews yet.

danperteet, Nov 1, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question