What are the benefits of a Linux operating system?

Discussion in 'Software' started by wingmark, Jun 10, 2011.

1. wingmark

wingmark

Hi All;

I've used Windows and and Mac operating systems, but never Linux. Are there any benefits to having a Linux operating system? Are there any disadvantages? Are they more likely to contract a virus?

Regards
    Wingmark

wingmark, Jun 10, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. wingmark

BanStick

The big benefits to using Linux are 1)It's free 2)It's versatile and 3)It has the support of the entire Open Source community.

They are less likely to contract a virus. There are fewer viruses written for Linux than WIndows, but that is only because there are fewer people running Linux. It's the same with MacOS, but recently there has been viruses in MacOS because its user base has grown enough to make them valid targets. As Linux becomes more popular its users will be targeted and it will also get viruses.

In short, if you have a project that does not have a lot of funding to drop on software and an OS, Linux is the route to go....assuming you can get the managers onboard with it.

BanStick, Jul 5, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. wingmark

Boogeyman

I've actually used Ubuntu quite a bit and i'd say two of the biggest advantages are speed and open-source (free) software. Make sure you have an Anti-virus program installed and an active firewall, just to be on the safe side. About the only thing i haven't been able to use Ubuntu for is Gaming other than that it's been able to do pretty much anything I need it to do including video editing. Hope this helps :) Best of luck to you.

Boogeyman, Aug 26, 2011
  4. wingmark

Zeus Moderator

If you install Wine, you can use it for gaming. I have run World of Warcraft on Ubuntu like this.

Zeus, Aug 27, 2011
  5. wingmark

Boogeyman

I've used Wine before, didn't do much for me though. Most of the games I play are games like Call of Duty:MW2, Battlefield, MOH, Dirt 2 & 3, etc... All of the older games such as Call of Duty 4 and WoW seem to work fine.

Boogeyman, Aug 28, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question