Weird disconnect problem

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by Esenthiel, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Esenthiel

Esenthiel

When connected to networks such as G2, Gnutella, eDonkey, and BitTorrent my entire network will disconnect for maybe a second or so (interestingly, it doesn't happen often at all on Soulseek) - but this causes all of the IM clients to disconnect, and it happens quite frequently. I am having problems pinpointing the source of the issue. My setup right now, I have a single Vonage router with three PCs hooked-up to it. This is a replacement router Vonage sent me - I thought the old one was causing the problem. Then the problem persisted, so I thought it was the wireless router I had hooked-up to the Vonage router that was causing the problem, but.... no.

Any ideas out there?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2005
    Esenthiel, Oct 18, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. Esenthiel

James Photojournalist VIP Member

It's the FBI tunneling through your firewall.

On a serious note, we cannot help anyone out if they have the listed applications on your network as they are most likley the cause of your problem and 95% used for warez. Have you tried removing that software and or system from your network?

James, Oct 18, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. Esenthiel

Dave601 Web Guru VIP Member

Oh man...that joke just made my day.:lol2

And also on a more serious note...get rid of the crap (G2, Gnutella, eDonkey) like James said and that will most likely solve your problem.

Dave601, Oct 18, 2005
  4. Esenthiel

davi99 VIP Member

yeah like what james said get rid of those, because by THQ rules we cannot go on further to help with related warez

davi99, Oct 19, 2005
  5. Esenthiel

Esenthiel

Shareaza and BT are not "warez" - they have legitimate uses (many many files are distributed on BT because programmers don't have the money to pay for mass amounts of bandwidth).

But anyway, turns out my router is capable of supporting a fairly small number of connections before crapping out.

On that note, does anyone know of a site that tells the maximum number of (not necessarily local) connections certain routers support?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2005
    Esenthiel, Oct 20, 2005
  6. Esenthiel

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

on a local network I would prolly say about 40, to still be able to do stuff

Goober, Oct 20, 2005
  7. Esenthiel

James Photojournalist VIP Member

Most manufacturers will tell in their technical manual. Most home routers can handle ~255 concurrent connections. I've seen some switches not be able to handle much throughput due to more chipset and or design.

I don't like how VOIPs are handing out their poorly designed / featured routers to their home users. They used to give our a device that your phone would plug into and that device would than plug into your router. Cheap routers have low-end processors.

James, Oct 20, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question