Website Builder

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by karansaraf, May 9, 2009.

1. karansaraf

karansaraf VIP Member

Hey,

I'm an amateur photographer and would like to set up a website to showcase my pictures. It would only be a simple site - homepage, contact page, about page, and many other "album" pages that would contain a number of photos, in thumbnailed galleries which when clicked would open up a popup of that image full size (or preferrably if possible open up a flash popup rather than a new window popup.)

Now, it's been many years since I first learned HTML, and even then it was only an basic to intermediate understanding of HTML at best. I now realise after perusing w3schools.com that some of what I learnt has since been outdated with HTML 4, or will soon be outdated with XHTML or HTML5 or later.

What I want to know is if there is a piece of software that will allow me to arrange the website to look how I want within the program and based on what I want to do/what I want it to look like ie. set all the links/background/colour/thumbnail galleries etc. it would convert all of that into the correct text code for me to upload as the page source code.

Is there a piece of software that would do this? I don't mind paying for a really good piece of software as long as it would fulfill all of my requirements.

I know I could just relearn HTML (and would probably need to learn CSS for what I'm going for), but I have a limited amount of time with being in medical school and my other commitments and it would really take me a long time to get to a stage where my knowledge would be appropriate to set up this website, and I was hoping for some sort of easy way out! Hehe

I would much appreciate it if someone could help me out!

Thank you.

EDIT: Using this page as an example:

http://www.andrewgransdenphotography.co.uk/weddings/portfolio.php

There are thumbnails of his photographs on this page and when you click on them, a flash window pops up with a larger resolution image of teh same picture, and you can then close this pop up with one click. I would like a program that would be able to do this for my galleries too if possible. If the flash part is not possible, then a simple pop up window would suffice, though the flash would be preferrable!

He also has a banner at the top, and the "wedding"/"lifestyle"/"wildlife and nature" links are similar to how I would want them, ie. not simple html text links but image links or what I'm assuming are the type of links you can make using CSS.

Also, apologies for the very demanding and particular requests, but I want this site to be perfect and would really appreciate any help! :D

Last edited: May 9, 2009
    karansaraf, May 9, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. karansaraf

danperteet I broke it again. VIP Member

It's gonna be impossible to do this just in html. I would find a host that has support for the joomla css, add on a photo gallery module, and customize it. Joomla is open source which makes it free. If you want some good hosts that offer this for free or cheap I can get you a list. Just let me know. If you have a host in mind already make sure they offer php and mysql because that's what joomla requires. If you'd like to look at some info about joomla their website is joomla.org

Last edited: May 9, 2009
    danperteet, May 9, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. karansaraf

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

I'm with Dreamhost, and they support php and mysql, they also have a TON of free apps to install on your webspace, inclusing image galleries. If you decide to go with dreamhost, PM me and i'll give you a link to the best package.

I also found a nice script that looks in a dirctory of images, and displays them for you in a grid, clicking the image will show the full image at a resolution of your choice, using a lightbox effect (the one you reffered to as a flash popup)

Nickweb, May 9, 2009
  4. karansaraf

karansaraf VIP Member

I was thinking about going with hosting24.com's silver package ( http://www.hosting24.com/features.php ) as it's cheap, good features and they said they'd enable their advanced site builder (includes the gallery modules) for me even though it's normally only part of the gold package.

Could you link me to Dreamhost package you wanted to recommend? Just so I can compare the two?

I've also had an offer from someone who said they'd host my site for free, provide unlimited storage and bandwidth if I've already designed the site (ie. he doesn't provide any software for building the site) which is why I was wondering if there was a piece of software I could use. Would Dreamweaver or similar program not fit the bill? I could then design everything offline and then upload the pages to the host.

Also, if I am going with a script for my galleries and pop ups, I'd like to experiment and test it out with one of the free website hosts (geocities/whatever) just to see what it looks like before I decide to pay for hosting. So would you be able to send me the script you were thinking of so I could try it out first? karansaraf AT gmail DOT com is my address.

Much appreciated :)

karansaraf, May 9, 2009
  5. karansaraf

danperteet I broke it again. VIP Member

First off free with unlimited storage and bandwith? I'd be a little weary of that. That storage and bandwith costs money to the provider. Second dreamweaver will break the bank. I can't even afford to upgrade as dreamweaver costs a few hundred. I'm staying with the version i've got. Third there are free host for joomla. Geocities only has 15megs, a sidebar ad, and no php or sql support. I do recommend joomla as opposed to coding yourself as it will save you alot of time and errors, It's easy to set-up, and is free. I've also seen hosts that will host joomla for free, and I tried it to see the quality and was very satisfied. I was just using that for testing though as I have my own server. What Nick said is good but will require coding which may or may not work if you cant preview it through a program like dreamweaver. Like I said you could use dreamweaver but it'll break the bank.another thing I forgot to mention is that php code and dreamweaver don't go the best together. You usually don't get a full wysiwig with that just because it's server side script.
    Any other questions feel free to ask.
    EDIT: anothe
    -Dan

Last edited: May 10, 2009
    danperteet, May 10, 2009
  6. karansaraf

karansaraf VIP Member

Ah right, I think I may have misunderstood your initial post about joomla. I figured I would have to learn how to code/script in the joomla language but if it is just a piece of software that enables me to design a website based on appearance rather than having to actually code it all, then I would be more than happy to use it as it would fit the bill perfectly. Is it possible to get the image gallery with pop ups with lightbox effect when you click on one image with joomla? That is why I was wondering if I could use dreamweaver as I've heard you don't need to know how to code to make websites with it. And I'm pretty sure my university has it installed on their computers so I could use it there. However, if joomla fulfils all the requirements I want, then of course I'll just use that!

Also, regarding hosts, which ones will host joomla for free? Are there any disadvantages to using these hosts?

One of the big advantages of hosting24.com (a host that I was considering) was that they will let you set up a domain forever, for free, give you unlimited storage and bandwidth and were willing to let me use their advanced site builder with all of their different modules on it. They also have lots of scripts I could just stick into my site at my convenience and also support MySQL, PHP, Perl, CGI etc and really good customer service for only $4.84/month. The only things that that package doesn't have are dedicated IP address, custom nameservers, shell access and addon domains.

Do you think I will have to ask them if they support joomla of do you reckon they will by default?

EDIT: Apologies for the very basic questions, but I've been out of the game with regards to website building for years and years now! :)

karansaraf, May 10, 2009
  7. karansaraf

Dreamhost supports joomla too.

http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting.html is the link for it, i'll be implimenting the image gallery script into stuffbynick in the next few days, so i will be abke to show you a good example of how it works.

And dan, the coding is already done

Last edited: May 10, 2009
    Nickweb, May 10, 2009
  8. karansaraf

karansaraf VIP Member

Ok Nick I look forward to seeing how the script works!

And Dan, did you want to say something else? I think your "EDIT:" part of the post wasn't fully typed out?

karansaraf, May 10, 2009
  9. karansaraf

Nickweb, May 12, 2009
  10. karansaraf

karansaraf VIP Member

Yeah that's basically exactly the kind of gallery I was going for.

karansaraf, May 18, 2009
  11. karansaraf

Last edited: May 18, 2009
    Nickweb, May 18, 2009
  12. karansaraf

karansaraf VIP Member

Thanks a lot Nick, and I will let you know, although I think it will be a while before I actually decide to go with a host and put up my images. I think I'm going to expand my portfolio before putting up the initial version of my website.

Thanks again :)

karansaraf, May 19, 2009
  13. karansaraf

alferd

I was looking for the same kind of help. Nice informative thread guys. Keep up doing the good job.

alferd, Jul 7, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question