VPN Connection help

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by James, Mar 28, 2003.

1. James

James Photojournalist

Here's my setup for those that don't know: (cable connection)

Windows 2000 Domain, one of the Domian controllers is setup as a VPN server. I have it setup so that when a remote access user tries to log into my network via VPN they auth from Active Directory.

Myself and other users get on their via an external dialup connection then using VPN to get into my network. We can authenticate, and login to the domain. I tried accessing AD and was able to see all of the AD info.

Here's the problem: I try to access one of the PC's to get to a shared folder, and it says (look at attacment).

Also, once the VPN is made, I can't browse the net anymore.. it seems like it's trying to access the net through the VPN connection instead of the dial connection. :|

Attached Files:

James, Mar 28, 2003
    1. Advertisements

2. James

XavierYZ

When you are on another computer! connecting to your server through VPN. The computer you are sitting at (not the server) can't access the net????

I am not sure if I understand you correctly so I am going to try to asses the problem.

Make your that your DNS is working properly. Also I had VPN set up before and when I had a user (that was on DSL) connect to my VPN, while he was access the internet at his home(while still connected to my VPN) He was using MY internet connecting....passing through the VPN to his machine. while he was on the internet at his home he had MY IP address.

This is proabably because when you created the VPN through routing and remote access. there was an option during the wizard to Share Internet on this connection....

try recreating the VPN server in routing and remote access. and pay clost attention to each of the Screens. There is a way around that.

If the above info is not your problem (the problem is unclear to me)
    please try to explain the problem in a bit more detail.

Good luck

XavierYZ, Mar 31, 2003
    1. Advertisements

3. James

James Photojournalist

I probably selected yes to sharing the internet connection... I think it may be a DNS issues. What I'll do first- instead of confusing us more is recreate the VPN server, and then see if the internet issue is resolved.

Then see if the network access problem is araising... thanks for the help.

James, Mar 31, 2003
  4. James

James Photojournalist

I rebuilt the VPN server. I can log on now and browse shared folders etc...

The only problem so far is the VPN user is still using MY cable connection... I selected <no internet connection> when setting up the VPN connection.

Any ideas?

James, Apr 2, 2003
  5. James

XavierYZ

hmmm.. I don't have any ideas at the moment.

I'll check into that

XavierYZ, Apr 2, 2003
  6. James

James Photojournalist

Well... at work on a sandbox that has a DSL connection (the sandbox is not part of the network). I created a VPN connection, authed onto my network, I can ping PC's by their IP addy- and can NOW browse the network! :)

Now to just stop VPN clients from using my cable connection... and then on to learning about security.

Permissions.. For clients top copy files, I have to give the folder the share permission of "change", is there any other way? I don't want to allow them to remove the files, just copy...

James, Apr 3, 2003
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question