V for Vendetta

Discussion in 'Books, Movies, TV and music' started by James, Feb 21, 2006.

1. James

James Photojournalist VIP Member

James, Feb 21, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. James

Codex85 Mouse Potato VIP Member

Yep, it looks like it could be fun.

Codex85, Feb 21, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. James

SwordWielder Master of Swords VIP Member

Another movie that is going to be amazing. I'm really looking forward to the storyline in this.

SwordWielder, Mar 1, 2006
  4. James

TheOneGreatX VIP Member

I can't wait. I'm going to be out of the country when it comes out though. I'll have to see it when I come back.

TheOneGreatX, Mar 1, 2006
  5. James

SwordWielder Master of Swords VIP Member

I just got back from this movie and have mixed opinons. There were a few messages, some I agree with and some I don't think should be in film First, what I agree with:

The government should server its people, not rule and opress it

What I don't agree with:

The writers adding in homosexuality. Such things are not needed in a movie, I personally don't like how they try to portray religion in the movie either.

I felt like I was being brainwashed into the writers own thinkings and beliefs. If it wasn't for the action I would of walked out. :|

Last edited: Mar 18, 2006
    SwordWielder, Mar 18, 2006
  6. James

spike228 ST 38 VIP Member

well they didn't change their names to the wachowski siblings for nothing. i think one of them got a sex change.

spike228, Mar 18, 2006
  7. James

Homosexuals are people like anyone else. Why shouldn't they be portrayed in movies? As for religion, well, everyone's entitled to their opinions, including movie producers. No one's forcing you to watch the movie, right? :p

Codex85, Mar 18, 2006
  8. James

still, i have nothing against homosexuals but i rather not have to see them in theaters unless it was an extremely necessary role.

spike228, Mar 18, 2006
  9. James

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

Yeh but no matter how stupid/horrable a director may be, its his film and for the time being he is always right.

Goober, Mar 18, 2006
  10. James

what are you talking about? right and wrong is opinion. i see a lot of people complaining that micheal moore is wrong.

spike228, Mar 18, 2006
  11. James

I agree. I don't agree or accept that lifestyle and I don't appreciate being portrayed as a hater or killer because of my beliefs. This movie had great potential. :|

James, Mar 18, 2006
  12. James

TacoX DomineNonEsDignus VIP Member

You say "them" as though they are something different from human. if you have absolutely no bias whatsoever towards gays, then seeing one on screen should be no different than seeing a heterosexual on screen. Complaining about the fact that an alternate lifestyle to your own was portrayed in a movie is both ignorant and intolerant.

That aside....I still really want to see this movie. I've heard tons of great things from reviews and regular fans alike.

TacoX, Mar 20, 2006
  13. James

binarysoul InnocentBystander VIP Member

I agree to an extent. I don't mind homosexuality being added when it has something to do with the story, or if its actually worked into the movie. I wouldn't want to see it added just to create a stir so to speak. Otherwise I could care less. That said I don't enjoy going to see a movie and having hordes or Hetero's making out in the background for no reason either. Unless ... you know ... its one of THOSE movies.
    Though I don't consider seeing homosexuality in the movie as brainwashing, and I doubt, that when *** people see heterosexual people in movies, that they consider it brainwashing.

I want to see this movie, as far as action movies go I haven't liked any of the ones that have come out recently but this looks good.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2006
    binarysoul, Mar 20, 2006
  14. James

what the **** are you talking about? so if i reffer to a certain race as "them", then that automatically makes me a racist?

what is intolerable is oversensitivity of this subject. that is what the world needs less of. i also reffered homosexuals as "them" because there are gays and lesbians. what word do i use to address both? how the **** else would you have worded it?

but i guess in your mentality, you're still saying "oh noes you said ***"

spike228, Mar 20, 2006
  15. James

Just to clarify on the brainwashing, I was not saying that because they had homosexual scenes that meant it was brainwashing, the brainwashing part was the underlying message of the whole move itself.

James, Mar 20, 2006
  16. James

Homosexuals aren't a race. So no, referring to them as "them" doesn't make you "racist." The word is "homophobic." Not that I'm implying you're one, of course.

Chill, people. It's just a movie, not a nefarious brainwashing scheme. No one's frog-marching people into theaters and forcing them to watch the scary g-a-y people.

Perhaps this thread should be locked before it turns into a flame war. I think the topic of homosexuality in movies is inappropriate for this forum to begin with, and shouldn't have been brought up. But it was, and both sides of the argument have been stated. Some times, we must agree to disagree.

Codex85, Mar 20, 2006
  17. James

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

I 2nd that Codex. But I know it is a movie that I would like to go see just because of all the argueing here, and what my friends have said.

Goober, Mar 20, 2006
  18. James

TacoX DomineNonEsDignus VIP Member

1. Never did I make the implication of you being a racist. edit: and yes, I over reacted. I apologize.
    2. I'm not being overly sensitive. I was simply stating that wanting to see less *** people in a movie unless it's vital to some role, just sounds kind of ridiculous.
    3. And no, that is not my mentallity. I just get slightly defensive on the subject. Sorry if I came on antagonistic.

Aaaaand I'm done discussing this. Sorry if I slightly derailed this thread.

TacoX, Mar 20, 2006
  19. James

oh god i was using the racist thing as an example but what ever.

oh and codex, a flame war in techiehq? in your dreams :p

sorry about the outburst taco, i was already in a bad mood before i read your post. i come here looking for something to relax my mind off of stress whether its helping someone with a computer problem or reading about something interesting.

anyways, back on topic.

spike228, Mar 21, 2006
  20. James

Your post was pretty close to a flame, my friend, what with all the asterisks. ;) But that aside, I have found it remarkeable how quickly tempers cool and apologies are made after an argument gets heated, as this one did. It's a good thing, and indicative of general good character.

Of course, all this controversy is likely to make more people want to see the movie. :p

Last edited: Mar 21, 2006
    Codex85, Mar 21, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question