USB Stick partition table problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by karter, Nov 10, 2012.

1. karter

karter

Hi;

I bought this white Sony 32 GB USB stick (to be used with a Wii console) and it was somewhat not-compatible. So i thought i did not have enough trouble in my life and did some re-partitioning with "EaseUS Partition Master 9.1.1 Home Edition". (i know you can not partition usb flash drives, but recently i read some info somewhere about that)While half way there, the program crashed. After that when i inserted the flash drive in to the usb port, it froze my windows desktop. :cry

Can i repair it using another operating system or a tool? Thanks in advance.

karter, Nov 10, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. karter

Core in pounce mode Moderator

There may be many ways to do this, but I'll give you my experience as an example of one. I've sometimes managed to format one of my thumbdrives into something Windows didn't recognize, and the Disk Management tool didn't work to fix it for me. It would say it formatted it, but I'd still only see about 200 MB free on a 32 GB drive.

What I usually do is use Mac's Disk Utility instead, repartitioning the drive and just leaving it without a formatted partition, and then using Windows to format it. Then it's all happiness and rainbows again.

If you don't feel like plunking down a grand to buy a Mac, you could download Parted Magic, burn it on a CD, boot from it, and use its disk utilities (it has many) to repartition your thumbdrive. Of course there are many free partitioning tools for Windows too, but if your Windows crashes upon inserting the thumbdrive then that's not much comfort. I am recommending Parted Magic because it's not as likely to crash upon coming across a device it can't understand, and it's a useful disc to have around in any case should you ever come across an issue with your hard drive.

Core, Nov 11, 2012
    currios and karter like this.
    1. Advertisements

3. karter

karter

thanks Core. I'm currently trying that too. Unfortunately, i guess i messed my usb stick so bad that it currently can not detect my stick. Parted Magic looks like a great tool to have around. The mount-gtk shows any usb stick as soon as i insert it into the port but not my 32 gb one. I'll just wait for some time hoping it'll show up.

karter, Nov 13, 2012
  4. karter

karter

CASE SOLVED!!! Thanks a lot Core. I used parted magic to solve my problem. I inserted the stick to my computer and waited for 2 hours and 45 minutes for GParted to give 3 errors (number of partitions were 3 by the way, error was given for each partition), waited for and hour to delete the partitions and another hour to create a new one. In about 5 hours i could use my USB stick again. Parted Magic now rests in my CD Case at the front page, as it is quite a good selection of tools.

karter, Nov 14, 2012
    Core likes this.
  5. karter

Core in pounce mode Moderator

That's awesome, thanks for posting back to let us know how you fixed the issue!

Core, Nov 14, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question