USB device removal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ken R., Mar 30, 2005.

1. Ken R.

Ken R. VIP Member

I have a number of USB devices, like memory card readers, external USB drives, digital camera, etc.

Sometimes there is a icon in the system tray that you are supposed to use to stop the USB device before you remove or disconnect it. The problem is that this icon isn't always there. Whynot? (Win XP Pro)

Some of my USB devices are always connected, shouldn't this icon always be present in the system tray as long as there is a USB device connected? How important is it to "stop" the device using this icon before you disconnect it? What could happen if you don't stop the device before you disconnect it? Can I manually launch this icon?

Ken R., Mar 30, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. Ken R.

TheOneGreatX VIP Member

I believe the icon only shows up for devices on which you can store data (hard drives, memory cards, etc.). I've never actually used the dialog from that icon, is it really necessary?

TheOneGreatX, Mar 30, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. Ken R.

TSEngineer Numenorian

Unplugging devices such as memory sticks without using the icon to stop the device can cause loss of data, or even permanent damage to the device. I have accidentally removed them without stopping them but you get a nasty message from the OS and again risk the possibility of loss of info or damage. Devices where the icon is not showing usually means it's ok to plug or unplug the device, such as digital recorders.

TSEngineer, Mar 30, 2005
  4. Ken R.

Ken R. VIP Member

I have an external USB drive that's connrcted all the time, yet the icon almost never shows up.

Ken R., Mar 30, 2005
  5. Ken R.

Ken R. VIP Member

It's the little green arrow "Safely Remove Hardware" icon that is supposed to appear in the system tray. It isn't there. Why? Can I force it to appear?

Ken R., Mar 30, 2005
  6. Ken R.

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

Are you sure it isn't hidden? Can you click the arrow to expand the task bar?

Fenis-Wolf, Mar 31, 2005
  7. Ken R.

Ken R. VIP Member

That isn't it, I turned off the "Hide Inactive Icons" feature.

Ken R., Mar 31, 2005
  8. Ken R.

spike228 ST 38 VIP Member

it is no always true that the icon only shows up for usb storage devices. it shows up for my printer

spike228, Mar 31, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question