Upgrading a friends computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smack500, Apr 15, 2004.

1. smack500

smack500 VIP Member

A freind of mine has had the same old dell for years. He saw mine and loves it, now he wants me to build him a new one. After reading alot of articles and such lately I wanted to know in your opinion do you think now is a good time to update. alot of programs/oses should start becoming 64 bit compatible. Not to mention all the new stuff coming out this year, pciexpress, 10000rpm hardrives,etc.

Is now a good time to upgrade, or wait 6 months see what happens with all this new stuff coming up?

smack500, Apr 15, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. smack500

James Photojournalist

I'd wait for Intel's new Alderwood 925 or 775 chipset, PCIe, DDRII, etc. Wait until the end of the summer. 10k and 15k drives have been out for a few years, mainly for servers (scsi).

James, Apr 15, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. smack500

James Photojournalist

From what I have read on the speculation of the release of XP 64-bit edition, MS will release it once Intel's (Alderwood) chipset is released to the public. MS wants this edition to perform will on Intel's 64-bit extension CPU's as well as AMD's.

James, Apr 15, 2004
  4. smack500

smack500 VIP Member

oh ok, your earlier post already awnsered my question, thats why I deleted my earlier post. I wasnt aware of the alderwood, I think I will just wait for that to come out then.

smack500, Apr 15, 2004
  5. smack500

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

If you wait for the next round of 'updates' expect the prices of the current high end stuff to rapidly fall off. Thats why I'm waiting to build my new machine until the new stuff is hyped. Because honestly, I'm not going to take advantage of PCI Express, or 64 bit computing, and neither are you. Unless you're doing floating point calculations in real time, YOU ARE NOT GOING TO NOTICE A DIFFERANCE BETWEEN 32 BIT AND 64.
    Anyways....

Fenis-Wolf, Apr 15, 2004
  6. smack500

James Photojournalist

No, we won't notice much between 64bit and 32bit until games and apps take advantage of the extensions. But, The 775 chipset is not 64bit. Just because nothing right now is not taking advantage of PCIe does not mean no one will. Lots of new hardware / apps will be taking advantage of this excting stuff.

James, Apr 15, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question