Upgrade processor... Complicated!?

Discussion in 'System Building & Upgrades' started by MicX, Sep 30, 2009.

1. MicX

MicX

Hi techies,

I've come to ask for some advice on upgrading my processor. The one I have at the moment is an Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2140 @ 1.6Ghz with 65nm and in a 775 socket. My question is, Which processor should I buy to have more Ghz, I've bought a new Gfx-card, and all the other parts are pretty good, but the 1.6Ghz processor is struggling with some games.

I've found some new cards that can fit in a 775 socket, but 45nm technology, and 3mb l2 cache instead of my current 2mb l2 cache... No idea what this all means, but all I want is to upgrade processor without having to upgrade any other parts...

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Edit: Err, just noticed it's the wrong subforum... Move of re-post?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
    MicX, Sep 30, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. MicX

Ian Administrator

Hi MicX, welcome to the forums :) I've moved your post to the upgrade section for you.

There are faster socket 775 processors that you can use, but your motherboard may have limitations. Do you have the model number and we can look up the best one your motherboard can support.

What is the rest of your system like, as it may not be the processor causing the problem with games?

Ian, Sep 30, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. MicX

MicX

Hi Ian, thanks for the reply,

I'm hoping this is the correct info you were asking for: P5K31-VM, chipset P35/G33/G31.

My graphics card is a nVidia GeForce 9500GT
    & I have 2GB of DDR2 RAM.

Anything else I need to add?

MicX, Oct 1, 2009
  4. MicX

Ian Administrator

I can't find much on the P5K31-VM as it's an OEM board made by Asus (do you have a Medion PC?). However, if it's the same as the P5K then I should be able to help as I own the same board. It might be worth checking on the Medion site if they have any upgrade information.

The nVidia 9500 isn't a high end graphics card, so I suspect that's where your gaming performance problems are. Upgrading your CPU will only go so far to improve gaming performance.

Which games are you having problems with?

There is a list of P5K compatible CPU's on this page, which may be the same for your motherboard. However, as you have a custom OEM bios this may not be the case (so I would call your OEM to check):

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/P5K.html

Something like the Quad Core Q9550 offers impressive performance, but it's not cheap.

Ian, Oct 1, 2009
  5. MicX

MicX

Well, any game I have my gfx meets the requirements for, it's always the processor that's bugging me, and yes, it's a Medion computer. It's especially GTA IV I'm having problems with... And some other games, but that's only if I put everything on max. and highest resolution...

I'll go check Medion now. Do you have any other options left for me to check out?

MicX, Oct 2, 2009
  6. MicX

Ian Administrator

I can't think of anything else until you can check the CPU compatibility direct with Medion. As it's a custom motherboard it is possible that it is locked to only work with certain CPUs. I doubt this is likely, but you don't want to waste money buying an incompatible CPU.

Ian, Oct 5, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question