Unable to delete partition?

Discussion in 'Software' started by xishiro, May 31, 2004.

1. xishiro

xishiro

Hi, I was just about trying to reformat and reinstall windows but it wouldnt work. When i try to delete the partition so i can reinstall windows, it says it is unable to continue deleting the partition cause setup files are being used from it. I understand what it is trying to say, but how can i stop this?

I tried using the recovery console, and doing the 1. map 2. format c: /FS:NTFS 3. Y but it still wouldnt work. The files would still be there, and I would still be able to run windows. Is there any other way I can reformat my computer? Is it possible?

I have the CD, but maybe do I have to boot the computer using the cd first? If i do, how do I do that. (IN the BIOS?)

Basically what Im trying to say is that

1. I try deleting my partition with windows in it, but I cant because files are still being used in the setup. How do I not use those files and finally delete the partition?

2. I tried using the recovery console, and format c: in it, but after I do it, the files still remain. Why and what can I do about it?

3. I use the cd, but do I boot the computer as the cd? How?

You probably all are laughing at me about how uninformed I am in computers, but please just answer my questions? Thanks.

xishiro, May 31, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. xishiro

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

No ones laughing at you, everyone has to start somewhere.
    Heres what you do:
    Insert the Windows cd into the drive and then reboot.
    A menu should appear asking you if you'd like to boot from the CD. Press a key to boot from it.
    Select 'Start Computer with CD-ROM Support'(I'm assuming this is Win98 but even XP should be similar)
    Then when you get a command prompt, type in 'format c:' and enter. Say yes its ok to format this partition.
    When its done, reboot with the CD still in the drive, and select 'Start Windows Setup'
    Then follow the steps, and you should be left with a nice clean system.

Fenis-Wolf, May 31, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. xishiro

DaVo Banned for Life

Don't think taht we will laugh at you because I think I had posted something very similar not so far ago. :)

DaVo, May 31, 2004
  4. xishiro

xishiro

Still... the disk wont boot up

When I boot the computer with the CD inside, it doesnt show that boot computer with cd-rom support. I think it may be because of the disc... Is there any other way?

(It is still possible to install with the disc... )

xishiro, Jun 4, 2004
  5. xishiro

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

Did you go into the BIOS and make sure that the CD-Rom is the first boot device?

Fenis-Wolf, Jun 4, 2004
  6. xishiro

MegaHertz

You can boot from a Windows 98 boot disk blow away the partition recreate it, make it active and then format it to FAT32. Then boot off of your 2000/XP cdrom and when it asks you what file system to use choose NTFS and it will reformat the drive during the install process.

You can also get products that will do this for you like Acronis Disk Editor. However I still do it the old fashioned way using FDISK. :)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2004
    MegaHertz, Jun 4, 2004
  7. xishiro

xishiro

I understand both what Fenis and Mega are saying, but how.? I just started getting into computers and they don teach this stuff in freshman year highschool :p. I know what your trying to say but i dunno how to access my BIOS. Yea all that ctrl+esc etc. but it didnt say in the manual specifically what to press to acess the BIOS when i got the comp.

The 98 boot disk where i get this. I know i can download it from somewhere, but where and do i just run it?

xishiro, Jun 4, 2004
  8. xishiro

MegaHertz

MegaHertz, Jun 4, 2004
  9. xishiro

Steve VIP Member

Normally you press (TAP TAP TAP) "F2" when starting up to access your BIOS. If that doesn't work, sometimes depending on your BIOS manufactor it's "Del". When you get into your BIOS you need to make sure the option "First Boot Device = CDROM", it's under one of the menus you may have to look around.

Do you have two CD drives, maybe a dvd drive or a cdburner?

When you boot with the win98 CDROM, tap "space-bar" becuase the install cd detects if you have a windows OS installed and if you do it displays text saying "to boot from cd hit any key.." for only a few seconds, then it boots to your OS. So maybe your not fast enough.

Another way to format your drive is to make a floppy boot disk, you can make one under control panel > add remove programs > last tab > make boot disk. Boot with the floppy in your floppy drive, (again BIOS must have first boot device = floppy ) and then it will bring you directly to a dos prompt. Where you may fdisk and format to your hearts content.

I have had problem before with hard drives that wont remove partitions, at that stage the HD needs to be low level formated and it basical junk. But the good news is, if all else fails HD are cheap!

Steve, Jun 4, 2004
  10. xishiro

MegaHertz

MegaHertz, Jun 4, 2004
    Steve likes this.
  11. xishiro

S Walch MAME 0.64 :) VIP Member

Might be a dumb question but...has xishiro actually stated what OS he's trying to install, as I see people explaining how to do it for both windows 98 and windows XP here...

*confused*

S Walch, Jun 4, 2004
  12. xishiro

MegaHertz

Who explained how to install 98? I only mentioned using a 98 boot disk to delete the partion and recreate it.

But you are correct no one actually asked what OS he is trying to reinstall.

xishiro,

What OS are you currently using and which OS are you attempting to install if different.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2004
    MegaHertz, Jun 4, 2004
  13. xishiro

S Walch MAME 0.64 :) VIP Member

That answer your question? ^_^

S Walch, Jun 5, 2004
  14. xishiro

MegaHertz

My apologies I missed the part about 98 in there. :)

MegaHertz, Jun 5, 2004
  15. xishiro

xishiro

Crap. Now I totally screwed up. He followed all the directions on this site using the FDISK thing, deleted partitions recreated it. Now when i restart it says Missing Operating System. Shoot. now what?

I created a primary DOS parti.
    I created a exten DOs parti.
    I created a logic Dos.

Then I restarted... missing operating system. HELP
    Add: I am trying to install windows XP now.... all partitions are gone.

(If you wonder why i dont know any of this stuff.. cause lets jus say im young and my parents don know anything about comps so i have to do it all myself)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2004
    xishiro, Jun 11, 2004
  16. xishiro

MegaHertz

Did you set the C:\ partition to active?

This is done in FDISK.

MegaHertz, Jun 11, 2004
  17. xishiro

xishiro

That is C:DRIve active. OR It shows the drive with the big A beside it or near it.
    Yea I did

xishiro, Jun 11, 2004
  18. xishiro

Sandoo Guy who "Knows"

the fact that ur comp. is saying "Missing Operating System" is GOOD!

Go ahead and Install Windows XP Pro - It will ask what partition u want to install it to and all the rest.

(peoples - I could be wrong on this [I have never had to do this :) ])

Sandoo, Jun 12, 2004
  19. xishiro

xishiro

Ok. Yea thats what I thought. But its scary lol. Ok. Now do I just start the computer with the cd in the cd drive? (Do I need some sort of partition to do this? Like a D drive. What is this partition called?)

Never mind most of the stuff above in this post. Ok, now I went into the DOS thing. with the A: from the bootdisk. Then I switched to the E:\. I heard that sometimes the D:\ isnt the letter assigned so i tried E:\. Then from the install cd for XP HOME, it said cannot run this on DOS or something like that.

FINALLY ACCESSED MY BIOS. Jeez ill update on later problems.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2004
    xishiro, Jun 12, 2004
  20. xishiro

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

All you have to do is reboot with the Windows install cd in the drive, and select start Installation.

Fenis-Wolf, Jun 12, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question