TV Tuner Card/DVR MPEG Settings

Discussion in 'Media Workshop' started by Hummingbird, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Hummingbird

Hummingbird VIP Member

Hi, all! I have a Hauppauge (sp?) WinTV-HVR 850 Hybrid TV Stick and my Dad's been recording shows using it. It works well, but it records the files HUGE!! An hour long video is like 7GB!! We consulted the manual and found the settings to change the MPEG compression, but they can't be changed! The manual says "some versions will have the following MPEG options" but on mine there is only one option and apparently the one where your files are GINORMOUS. Is there any way to change this? Any way to record them and somehow make them smaller? This is ridiculous! Why would the default record setting be HUGE? I would think the default setting would be some tiny, crappy quality option?? Any thoughts?

Cynthia :)

Hummingbird, Jan 20, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. Hummingbird

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

Are there any quality settings? some systems don't allow you to change the mpeg compression, rather change quality (low/medium/high/super high etc...) it still ends up changing the mpeg compression anyway, just its called something more user friendly in the settings menu

Nickweb, Jan 20, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird VIP Member

There's a setting where you can choose the 'capture size' and there are different resolution options (800x600, etc) but this is just for taking screen captures. It was on 1600x1200 or something and I changed it to 800x600 but the files are still HUGE so apparently that's not it.

I've been through all the options and preferences, etc. I just can't believe that the default would be this insanely large option! Is there no way to record something at this crazy size and then re-size it?

Hummingbird, Jan 21, 2011
  4. Hummingbird

clifford VIP Member

I know of two programs you can use to re-sample video files with. I prefer MediaCoder over the two, however MediaCoder will require the install of Firefox to work correctly.

• MediaCoder
    • SUPER ©

clifford, Jan 21, 2011
  5. Hummingbird

Hummingbird VIP Member

Sweet - we use Firefox already. We'll give MediaCoder a go! Thanks!

Hummingbird, Jan 24, 2011
  6. Hummingbird

Hummingbird VIP Member

Okay I give up . . . how do I use MediaCoder? I feel like someone who's never seen a thread and needle, but is being asked to sew an entire wardrobe . . .

Hummingbird, Jan 27, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question