Trouble with Failing 2.5" SATA Drive

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Technology' started by kpdonahue85, Mar 28, 2013.

1. kpdonahue85

kpdonahue85

Hello all,

I have a seagate 2.5" sata drive from a laptop which crashed about two years ago and I am finally trying to recover the data from it.

The drive will not boot normally and a system restore also would not boot (it had windows vista installed). I purchased a usb-to-sata adapter to try to view the files on the drive, but it is proving rather difficult to access them. Most software either hangs up or freezes completely when trying to view the drive, but a few programs have been able to find the partitions on it.

The most success I have had so far was to run Paragon Rescue Kit 11 (free) from a bootable cd on the crashed laptop with the drive physically installed (not through usb). I tried to repair the MBR and windows installation, and the software said it did so properly, but it still won't boot. However, using the file transfer utility, I was able to recover some files onto an external drive! Unfortunately, I received numerous "ERROR Unable to read file *.*" messages and could not save all of the files in the directory I was trying to recover.

My question is this: does anyone out there think it is possible to read these "unreadable" files using different software, or should I just save what I can save and be done with it?

Reading the screen while Rescue Kit 11 was finding the drive seemed to indicate that it could not read certain sectors, but was trying over and over again to read them and taking a huge amount of time before it gave up. This sounds like it would also explain why other software would freeze and then resume when trying to read the drive. Furthermore, when I was watching it transfer files it would hang up for long periods of time, then transfer a few MB, then hang up again, etc. until eventually it managed to transfer almost a solid GB of files with no hangups at all.

I can't tell if this is because the data is corrupt or if it is from physical problems with the drive. It would be great if I could just make an image and then clone the system onto a working drive, but obviously this won't work if the data itself is corrupt. Also, if the drive keeps hanging up the way it does, it would take days to get the whole thing read as an image.

Any suggestions? I should add that I have not tried anything yet to recover any lost partition information, and that I have cleaned the PCB of any corrosion and see no signs of burnt components. There is no click of death either. Lastly, I suspect the computer crashed in the first place due to overheating.

Thanks!

kpdonahue85, Mar 28, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question