To buy or not to buy DVD movies

Discussion in 'Books, Movies, TV and music' started by James, Aug 21, 2006.

1. James

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

Eh, as far as I'm concerned they're both gimicky. Right now even on 'HD' televisions plain ol' DVDs look GOOD. Really good if you have the proper equipment which is really quite cheap now. I have no interest in purchasing any of these new pieces of equipment.
    However, if one of them has to win out, I'm coming down on HD-DVD's side. Why?
    1) It's NOT SONY
    2) ITS NOT SONY
    3) No crazy DRM schemes built right into the disk and the drives. If I want to keep a digital copy on my computer-thats MY right-NOT Sony's to take away.

Fenis-Wolf, Aug 23, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. James

Crimson Devil's Advocate VIP Member

... may I quickly interject. Sony (the hardware company) is not trying to enforce DRM schemes or trying to charge and recharge consumers.

Sony BMG (not part of Sony for a few years now due to a threat of horizontal monopoly charges) is forcing that issue. In fact, didn't they finally drop the Sony name and start going by BMG?

Also I would like to point out... since you brought up this side of the fence. HD-DVD as DVD's will have regional coding. Sony has released that regional coding for Blu-Ray has been dropped from the PS3 games and may be dropped from the movies as well.

Also the HD-DVD encryptions will be the same as the DVD. Blu-Ray has a completely new (and uncompromised) encryption system that will cause a reduction in piracy and will lower costs to legit consumers in the long run... of course that is if it stays uncompromised... which I unfortunately doubt...

Edit: I would like to point out that I don't like Sony for other reasons (my VAIO broke the day after the warranty ended, then again the day after the extended warrenty ended)... I just try to keep myself objective. (See my Title)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
    Crimson, Aug 23, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. James

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

Unfortunately, Sony has been unable to create a standard in the last 10 years that ANYONE has stuck to (minidisk anyone?) and their insistence on rebranding everything with their own terminology (iLink? WTF? Its Firewire!) really gets me steamed.
    Regional coding is good, I understand its reason for being. Lower piracy != lower prices.
    I as a consumer believe its my RIGHT to be able to make backup copies of my media-this is a right clearly spelled out in the Fair Use Act-but Sony as a company has consistently tried to restrict, or remove this right. The minidisk was the first of their attempts-you remember how you had to use the Sony software AND encoding scheme to put your music on your Mini Disk player? And that severly limited your uses of said media?
    I for one, refuse to purchase equipment that infringes on my legal rights.
    But thats just me.

Fenis-Wolf, Aug 23, 2006
    Crimson likes this.
  4. James

Firewire is Macintosh, iLink is Sony, IEEE 1394 is everyone else... It's just a name. Under that arguement you should be attacking Macs too.

But we're straying off topic... If we want to argue this we should probably do it elsewhere.

Truce?

Back to DVD's, HD-DVD's and Blu-Ray?

Crimson, Aug 23, 2006
  5. James

So, I finally hooked up my HDTV and my DVI/HD Cable Box, so I have HD quality TV, there aren't very many channels in HD on Cox, but I like! So, I hooked up my DVD player with the same hookup and got kinda crisper quality DVD's, but it's still not HD. I won't buy one of the HD players until the prices drop or someone comes out with a HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Player... ... ... Why doesn't someone do that! I'd love to just have one machine that does both!

Crimson, Aug 28, 2006
  6. James

James Photojournalist

I was at Best Buy yesterday and noticed they now have an isel for BlueRay and HD-DVD titles, I also noticed that they had Smallville Season 5 on HD-DVD.

I'm really trying not to buy any DVD's until a decision has been made on which format will win... I noticed that my favorite move Stargate was on BluRay. :|

James, Sep 14, 2006
  7. James

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

Thats just the ways its going to be for right now, records were the same way you had the 88s and the 45s. Then again they came out with an adaptor for the 45s :sigh I wonder what my games will be on next. :(

Goober, Sep 14, 2006
  8. James

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

I'm going to try and put my latest film 'Breaking Out' (the prequel to 'Spider') on HDDVD, failing that, just plain old DVD, as my music vid is

Nickweb, Sep 26, 2006
  9. James

I hope someone makes a BluRay/HD-DVD Player. They would make a mint selling something like that, and we can all buy HD titles without any standards issues.

Begin Happy Dance... :yea

Crimson, Sep 27, 2006
  10. James

James Photojournalist

That would be fine until a few years down the road a standard has been decided on and your hybrid player breaks down, now you have to buy a player the plays the standard that won and you're stuck with titles of the losing media.

James, Sep 27, 2006
  11. James

Zeus Moderator

If someone was to start selling a hybrid, I think many more companies would want their hand in that cookie jar. I don't think it would be a problem to find another hybrid when yours breaks.

Zeus, Sep 28, 2006
  12. James

It would be like a dual VHS/DvD player, it could just have two cd-rom drives. :S

Goober, Sep 28, 2006
  13. James

Zeus Moderator

That's a good idea. I might just have to build my own hybrid.

Zeus, Sep 28, 2006
  14. James

DVD/HD DVD/BLU-RAY drives! silly!

I do think a hybrid is the best way to go, I like hybrids

Nickweb, Sep 28, 2006
  15. James

In fact it may not need two bays... both use two lasers, right? Make one drive with 4 lasers, two HD and two BluRay. It'll be as sleek as the normal drives and it will play CD/DVD/HDDVD/BR.

Then the format-war would be a moot point since both can be used. Everyone starts building Hybrids. They'll start putting the bigger file requirements, like TV shows on BluRay with its larger capacity and HD's can be used for movies and things that do not need the room. It would lower production costs for TV-on-DVD shows and movies wouldn't need to convert to BluRay...

Why didn't anyone think of this!!!

Crimson, Sep 28, 2006
  16. James

no-one else has your brain power, Crimson, thats why :)

Nickweb, Sep 28, 2006
  17. James

James Photojournalist

Usually those dual drives are crap. ;)

James, Sep 28, 2006
  18. James

That's because few people sell them. If it becomes a hot commodity more companies would jump on and sheer competition would raise the quality.

Crimson, Sep 28, 2006
  19. James

Zeus Moderator

Those dual drives have never been designed and built by me before either. Don't get me wrong, it would still cost you a pretty little penny. I don't skip out on technology.

*Edit - I'm actually considering this now. I might even start drawing up blueprints.

Zeus, Sep 29, 2006
  20. James

So where is that nuke bunker in Colorado? I know its close by to me. (compaired to everyone else)

Goober, Sep 29, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question