This is off topic - TV Problem

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by tjustin, Jul 6, 2007.

  1. tjustin

    tjustin Guest

    Someone gave me a rather nice tv. It's been years since I worked on a
    tv. It has a horizontal line across the screen, but wont expand to
    cover the screen. Is this a horizontal or vertical problem. That
    always confuses me.

    tjustin, Jul 6, 2007
    1. Advertisements

  2. tjustin

    Frank McCoy Guest

    Your vertical oscillator is dead.
    In most TVs, the vertical output is *part* of the vertical oscillator;
    so replacing the tube/transistor/circuit that is *called* the vertical
    oscillator may or may-not fix the problem.

    In any case, likely it will cost more to fix or replace the ailing
    vertical circuit than the price of the TV.

    Even more-so for the Horizontal section these days. If that was dead,
    then you wouldn't even have the line.

    If you had reduced-height, not just *no* vertical, then the likely
    culprit would be a bad capacitor. As it is, it's likely to be an active
    Frank McCoy, Jul 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

  3. tjustin

    Jon Danniken Guest

    I fixed one of my TVs last year with the same symptom as the OP (horizontal
    line), and the fix was indeed a bad cap in the vertical section.

    Jon Danniken, Jul 7, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.