Thermal compound problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smack500, Feb 28, 2004.

1. smack500

smack500 VIP Member

I was installing a cpu on my grandmothers computer (first time I have installed a cpu) I bought it from here http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80171-R and I read the directions wrong somehow ( I know I am idiot no need to remind me I feel bad enough) and thought the grey patch of thermal compound on the heatsinc was protective tape, and pealed a little off before realizing what I was doing. Can you please recomend to me what thermal compound to get for this???

smack500, Feb 28, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. smack500

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

Any thermal grease from a decent online computer store will do. Make sure you read the instructions on the package and at the website thoroughly before you apply it. Make sure that all the original is gone before applying the new compound. If you only removed a tiny bit, it may be ok to go without. But if you do decide to continue without applying new compound keep careful eye on the temperature, either through the BIOS or the windows program that more than likely shipped with your motherboard.

Fenis-Wolf, Feb 28, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. smack500

smack500 VIP Member

how much would it cost for a new fan/heatsinc with thermal compound on it?? Because from the way it sounds putting the compound on myself might be a little complicated.

smack500, Feb 28, 2004
  4. smack500

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

Fan/heat sinks don't come with compound on it. It's not too complicated to put the compound on. You just have to put a small drop on chip after you've removed the pad. And spread it evenly with something thin, flat, and hard. You need to spread it very thinly and evenly. But like I said, unless you ripped off a big chunk you might be ok to go on with the tiny chunk gone. Just be careful, and keep your eye on the temperature.

Fenis-Wolf, Feb 28, 2004
  5. smack500

smack500 VIP Member

6. smack500

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

The fan and heat sink that shipped with you Athlon should be fine as long as you're not over clocking. But the thermal compound is key, whether it came on the chip as a pad, or if you apply it. How much compound do you think is gone? From where you took it off?

Fenis-Wolf, Feb 28, 2004
  7. smack500

smack500 VIP Member

Like a little over a quarter is gone. I would like to be safe and get more compound could you please post a link to a site to buy some thermal compound you recomend?

smack500, Feb 28, 2004
  8. smack500

smack500 VIP Member

Last edited: Feb 28, 2004
    smack500, Feb 28, 2004
  9. smack500

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

Just scrape the old compound off with something thin flat and hard. Make sure its all gone, then spread the compound with your finger. Just go to zipzoomfly.com and click on the cpu's section, then one of the tabs said 'Thermal Grease' just buy that. Its 9 dollars, and appears to be reliable.

Fenis-Wolf, Feb 28, 2004
  10. smack500

Steve VIP Member

Its easy removing and putting on new thermal grease. You accidentally removed factor thermal grease, that’s ok. Factor grease is never that good anyway, at least you didn't attempt to use it without grease, or grease with the tape on it!!!

Instructions: Clean off heat sink with Rubbing Alcohol!! Very important. DO NOT APPLY NEW GREASE WITH YOUR NAKED FINGER!!! Thermal grease is poisonous and oil from your fingers is not good for the life of the CPU! Apply new thermal grease with a piece of plastic rapped around your finger. (Ex: Glad Wrap.) Apply grease to heat sink in clockwise and counterclockwise motions. Do not over apply, a thin layer that covers the area where the CPU will conduct with the heat sink is sufficient. Apply another think coating to the CPU where the heat sink will conduct, again clockwise and counter clockwise motions. (Circles.) Do not over apply, so that thermal grease is pushed out the side when pushed down. This is not hard.

Electro Static Discharge. Can you ruin your CPU/Motherboard? Yes. Static electricity is your biggest worry when removing or installing the CPU. Computer Technicians use a static strap that grounds a person when working on electronic components. How to avoid static? Don't work on carpeted areas, try to touch the case or other grounded material before touching electronic components to drain the static charge from your body. Have confidence in yourself.

-Steven Simons

Computer Technician.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2004
    Steve, Feb 29, 2004
    James likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question