system is getting restarted

Discussion in 'Software' started by anchit.ae, Oct 15, 2011.

1. anchit.ae

anchit.ae

my laptop is getting restarted after 2-3 hrs. of continuous running. please help me getting this solved.

anchit.ae, Oct 15, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. anchit.ae

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

Welcome to THQ

We're going to need a lot more information. Is this a laptop or a desktop? What OS are you using? Is it just after 2-3 hours or are you running a certain program when this happens? Did anything recently change with your computer?

You will also want to disable automatic restart after system errors.
    [​IMG]

Goober, Oct 15, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. anchit.ae

Zeus Moderator

I would blow it out with compressed air...then answer all of Goober's questions. In the spring and fall dust gets everywhere.

Zeus, Oct 15, 2011
  4. anchit.ae

anchit.ae

its a laptop. i m using windows 7 ultimate. yes it is just after 2-3 hours that the system is getting restarted. no recent changes took place.

anchit.ae, Oct 16, 2011
  5. anchit.ae

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

Then as Zeus said, blow it out with a can of air, and make sure you're using it on a rigid surface, no pillows, laps, or blankets! Let us know if a Blue Screen of Death pops up after you disabled the automatic restart. The error code should look similar to this:
    0x0000000xx

That xx is going to be the code, it could be ED, B2, A1, or some other combination of letters. just let tell us the last two numbers/letters.

If you need more detailed information to disable automatic restart do the following:
    Click on the Start Orb > Right mouse click on Computer > Click Properties > Click on the Advanced tab > Click on Settings under the Startup and Recovery portion > Decheck Automatically Restart under the System Failure section > Click on Ok both times.

Goober, Oct 16, 2011
  6. anchit.ae

Zeus Moderator

You should probably go ahead and disable automatic restart now before it crashes again.

Zeus, Oct 18, 2011
  7. anchit.ae

JeffHarris

First of all, when a computer keeps rebooting it can be caused by a wide range of problems, from incompatable software such as Firewalls and Antivirus software, damaged or overheating parts inside your computer or even incompatable peripherals such as printers and scanners. Here are some computer repair tips to help you diagnose the problem.

Try to go Control Panel, system icon, advanced system settings, startup and recovery, uncheck automatic restart.

Then go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer, System Logs - both Application and System logs ...and look for events that occur just prior to a reboot to see if there is a clue.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2011
    JeffHarris, Oct 29, 2011
  8. anchit.ae

Golu Singh

This is true.
    IF YOU CAN'T USE gpedit.msc THEN YOU CAN USE THE FOLLOWING REMEDY!
    1. Open the Registry Edit
      (WindowsKey + R, "regedit.exe")
      (Remember to be careful! DON'T change anything unless you know exactly what you're doing!)
    2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
      * Chances are, if you can't access gpedit.msc you'll be missing these keys! *
      If keys WindowsUpdate\AU exist, go ahead to step 3!
      OTHERWISE, continue through these indented steps...
      1. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
      2. (Make sure the above key is highlighted and) go to the edit menu and choose New > Key
      3. Name the key WindowsUpdate
      4. Now, repeat the above steps, except highlight WindowsUpdate and name the next keyAU
    3. With WindowsUpdate\AU highlighted, create a new 32-bit DWORD calledNoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers
    4. Right click on your newly created value and give it a value data of 1 (hexadecimal)
    5. Double check all the steps to make sure you did everything EXACTLY how I explained it
    6. Close Registry Editor... You're FREE! :D
    Now, even with the gpedit.msc remedy, this will disable automatic restart on important updates, but it will still nag you a bit about restarting it. I don't mind this, personally, because I usually tell it to remind me in about 2-4 hours depending on what I'm doing. The feature is useful if it's just a notification (which is what this remedy will basically do), but when it starts making decisions on whether or not to restart or shutdown my computer is when I get very frustrated. Microsoft REALLY needs to fix this!
    *** So why not just use "Download updates but let me choose whether to install them"? Because I still want it to automatically INSTALL them. I just want to choose when to RESTART my computer. There's a massive difference between automatically installing AND restarting to configure, and just automatically installing. I take care of my PC. I'm not stupid enough to never restart my computer, especially when it needs it. Please, Microsoft, don't insult my intelligence, and be a little more flexible! If I wanted to work with all this behind-the-scenes magic I'd spend more time in my Linux terminal...

Golu Singh, Dec 7, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question