Stupid SoundBlaster Problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ellimist32, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Ellimist32

Ellimist32 HT NewB

My problems include...Not enough money, computer parts too expensive and..:( ..well i'll get to it.
    This is a brief history of my soundcard:
    When I first got the computer it had Win98 Origonal and the sound card (SoundBlaster 16 Model CT2230) worked fine. Then I had problems, so I installed Win98SE . After installation, when I tried to play something I got the error message "The Device is being used by another program. Close it and try again":? from every program that tried to play from it. I reinstalled the drivers, removed it, reinstalled the whole card and then tried it. Now, when I try to play something Windows Media Player Crashes :rage , and Sound Recorder plays the first 1 second (not even) and then seems to freeze. :rant The sounds in the OS seem to do the same thing, play for about .5s and then stop suddenly. I don't know what else to try. Suggestions are much MUCH appreciated, this has been going on for awhile!

Thanx Alot in advance!!
    Tim :help

Ellimist32, Apr 26, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. Ellimist32

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

When installing win98se did you fdisk (format your hard drive) before you put the the os on?

go and get the latest drivers for your card at www.creative.com
    remove the old drivers and replace with the new ones

and I may suggest reformating your hd (if you havvent done so already) and do a clean install of win98se if all else fails

Goober, Apr 26, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. Ellimist32

Ellimist32 HT NewB

ReFormat

Yah, after Win98 I bought my new HDD (80GB) and thus formatted it. As for the drivers, yah I have installed all the latest from Creative. Their tech support guy just told me to disable the card, then i wouldn't, and i quote, "Have any more error messages" and "If you do, feel free to contact me". Thx for the suggestion tho.

Tim

Ellimist32, Apr 26, 2005
  4. Ellimist32

spike228 ST 38 VIP Member

try putting the sound card into a different PCI slot. if that fails, test the card in another computer to see if it does the same.

spike228, Apr 26, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question