Stupid prob

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ruler1, Jan 9, 2004.

1. Ruler1

Ruler1 Hi VIP Member

ok i have 2 hard drives....one is my main one and the other is just a spare...well to make a long story short..i got WinXP on both drives (dont ask why, too long) well when i boot up it says to select which one to load...well i select my main one and go on...well the problem is with this is that when i boot up the 2nd one is highlighted (which has nothing on it at all, just plain OS) and the count down says that it will load whatever one is selected in 25 secs or something...well sometimes i just turny my OC on and walk away until it loads......

well my question is...how do i get rid of that? i tryed to format the 2nd hard drive but im not sure if it works.... when i tried to do it in a cmd prompt it comes with an error and says i cant do that (in simple terms)...i also have a floppy disk that came with my main hard drive, i booted to that and then selected my 2nd hard drive and clicked it to start to format and partition...but im not sure if it worked cuz it only took 2 secs....

so i take out the 2nd hard drive...well the option is still there and when it trys to load the OS on it it says cant find boot section..

can someone tell me how to get the multiple OS select off of it when i boot up? plz?

Ruler1, Jan 9, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. Ruler1

James Photojournalist VIP Member

Just format your second drive and go to System Properties, then Hardware Profiles, if you have the second OS listed, remove it. If not, post what's in your Boot.ini file.

James, Jan 10, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. Ruler1

Ruler1 Hi VIP Member

i tried to format it...but i dont think its working...cuz it took literally 2 secs....

the 2nd disk is not in my PC now...should i re-connect it? and where do i go to get to system properties?

Ruler1, Jan 10, 2004
  4. Ruler1

Ruler1 Hi VIP Member

i found it...it says it only has one profile.... but the option still comes up...unless it magically disappeared

Ruler1, Jan 10, 2004
  5. Ruler1

Ok, post your boot.ini file then. Hit Windows + F (search).

James, Jan 10, 2004
  6. Ruler1

Ruler1 Hi VIP Member

i found a boot.ini.backup, is that what u want? it found no other files when i searched for boot.ini

it was found in C:\WINDOWS\pss

Ruler1, Jan 10, 2004
  7. Ruler1

Ruler1 Hi VIP Member

ok...i found it:

[boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

Ruler1, Jan 10, 2004
  8. Ruler1

I believe you will want to remove multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect

It looks like you have XP installed twice on the same HDD though.

James, Jan 10, 2004
  9. Ruler1

Ruler1 Hi VIP Member

it cant be on the same hard drive because if i removed the 2nd hard drive it comes up with an error...

oh and if it matter the option i want to chose (when it boots) is the one at the top not the bottom...in case that changes what u said ^^

Ruler1, Jan 11, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question