Staying Logged in Problem

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by Col Colt, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Col Colt

Col Colt

I've been having problems staying logged into forums since CompUSA did a clean install for me a couple of weeks back. I have all the necessary extensions, plugins, etc for FF (my default browser) and have checked ZA Pro for settings as well. Session cookies are NOT blocked and there's no expiration on cookies and javascript is not blocked.

Anytime I go into a given forum sometimes it shows I'm logged in. If I click on a sub forum...like "Security" for instance, I'm prompted to loggin. I do it again. Then if I want to post a new reply or start a new thread, I'm prompted again. Very aggravating. I've been to about five forms, including Mozilla and no one has come up with an answer that solves the problem yet. Need help!

My OS is XP Home and have Comcast cable and primarily use Mozilla or FF but, have same loggin problems with IE.

Col Colt, Jun 20, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. Col Colt

Phil VIP Member

Have you tried clearing your Cookies, Cache, etc?

Phil, Jun 20, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. Col Colt

James Photojournalist

Strange that this happens with any browser. Have you tried this under another XP account?

James, Jun 20, 2005
  4. Col Colt

Col Colt

XP Home is all I have...not sure what you mean. This happens in all forums I go to from Mozilla to this one. It's not partial.

Col Colt, Jun 20, 2005
  5. Col Colt

Bubba Gump XBL: John Voda VIP Member

By accounts he means like, user profiles.

Bubba Gump, Jun 20, 2005
  6. Col Colt

Col Colt

It happened just then as I clicked onto the forum. It showed I was logged in (as I never logged out yesterday) but, when I tried to post this answer, it took me to the loggin "form" that said I wasn't logged in.So, had to loggin once more. This is what I mean...been doing this for several weeks.

Yep, Phil...cleaned cookies but not sure about cache. There's a folder that showed up a while back on my desktop called "cache" and I have no idea how it got there. When I opened it it was mostly five or six DAT or DIA files except for one...a cv3A.IX file...whatever that is.
    I'm the only one that uses this computer so, don't have another account.

Col Colt, Jun 20, 2005
  7. Col Colt

James Photojournalist

I would try creating another account, log on and see if you have this problem before trying anything else.

James, Jun 20, 2005
  8. Col Colt

Col Colt

I believe I've found the problem. It appears to be a conflict with ZA Pro(not the free one) and avast Pro. Here's what was suggested to me on the avast forum and so far, seems to work quite nicely. Thought I'd post it in the event anyone else has this problem of staying logged on.

"Zone Alarm Pro offers cookies and privacy controls, in order maintain a balance between webshield and zone alarm, you have to disable the privacy and cookie functions."

"For the ZA Pro I have the Cookie control turned off in ZA so that my Firefox will control cookies and I haven't had problems with logons since I have turned it off. Avast and ZA Pro were conflicting somehow till I turned that off. Try it. I have the Internet Zone in ZA set to High and Trusted to Medium with no problems."

Col Colt, Jun 21, 2005
  9. Col Colt

Bubba Gump XBL: John Voda VIP Member

Why are you using Zone Alarm?

Bubba Gump, Jun 22, 2005
  10. Col Colt

Col Colt

Well, Bubba...I was having problems with the computer about a month ago. It's a long story but in short, I thought Norton was part of my problem and I uninstalled it in favor of ZA Pro. In retrospect, it wasn't Norton after all but rather, some corrupt/missing .dll files. Too late. I even went into the registry and looked for anything with the word "Symantec" or Norton in it and deleted what was found. Took about an hour because even after going into Add/Remove program and deleting there, Symantec leaves files all over the hard drive, but; I finally got about 98% of them. Then I got ZA Pro because when I first got NIS, ZA was going to be my next choice if I ever got rid of Norton. And thus, the reason for having it now. Norton is such a resorce hog anyway but-it did an excellent job for me for nearly three years. I would hate to go through all those settings again, however. Hopefully, between ZA, avast, and my router, I should be pretty well protected.... not to mention about twelve spyware programs on the desktop:)

Col Colt, Jun 22, 2005
  11. Col Colt

James Photojournalist

Ah, crappy Zone alarm strikes again. I guess I should get a copy on my software testing machine so I can know what all these "features" are.

Thanks for the explanation.

Here's a good tip for a safe, secure PC:
    1. Get a hardware firewall, one that does NAT
    2. Remove all of your spyware apps and install HijackThis and MS AntiSpyware
    3. Remove all of your software based firewalls and disable the Windows firewall
    4. Remove all Anti-virus software and use a free simple AV or go with Symantec Corp edition (most ppl cannot do this)
    5. This one is obvious, but use common sense with browsing... I have not had a virus or spyware in 6 years, I do not have AV running (though it's installed) and I do not have a software firewall and normally do not run anti-spyware.

James, Jun 22, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question