Spam. Spam. Spam!

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by Core, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Core

Core in pounce mode Moderator

Ok, this is really ******* me off.

I get these emails about 5 times a day, typically two emails back to back. The first one is an "email from Microsoft" offering me a bogus update patch. Sure, Microsoft ALWAYS sends executable files to its valued customers... :roll Whatever.

The second is an obviously fake mail daemon report of a failed delivery to an address that's just scribble... like skjduwh@netmail.com or something. Oh, and of course there is an executable for me included, for some odd reason.

Spam is spam, we all get it, and we grow numb to it. But these emails are typically between 140 and 500 kb per email. It wastes a lot of my time on a daily basis to download emails of that size over my dial-up connection.

What I am asking is, is there any tools you are aware of that you can reliably use to try and track down these emails. I don't want to start blocking email messages that are of greater size than, say, 100 kb, because I get legit emails with sometimes big attachments. I don't mind legit emails, obviously.

Do these analmonkeys really think I would bother opening any of these unsolicited executables? Geeeez.

Core, Jan 7, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. Core

undeadpenguin Bang. VIP Member

I get no spam... which is really odd considering my email address is on dozens of forums and my website... Even if I did I usually set up filters (when I did get spam) to just allow people I know. That won't work for me now, though (cause I get email about my site).
    [edit]
    I'll open the executables for ya; I doubt they'd do anything to my system ;) .

undeadpenguin, Jan 7, 2004
    1. Advertisements

3. Core

James Photojournalist VIP Member

It depends on who provides your email. Hotmail? Our host provides email tracking. I filter out a lot of junk ontop of what the host already does. Subscribers get free email here. ;)

James, Jan 7, 2004
  4. Core

undeadpenguin Bang. VIP Member

My web host provides it for me... I don't know what software they use (it's a Linux server, though ;) ). I have yet to get one piece of unwanted email, though (except for some junk from the Arch mailing list because I keep forgetting to unsubscribe).

undeadpenguin, Jan 7, 2004
  5. Core

My email is provided by my domain host.

Core, Jan 8, 2004
  6. Core

James Photojournalist VIP Member

Can you filter specific address', names, words, etc through them?

James, Jan 8, 2004
  7. Core

Unfortunately not. They used to have a feature on their email server that filtered spam, and it worked fine. They took it down though, and said they intend to start charging for it. So I may use it, may not, depending on how much they charge.

Core, Jan 8, 2004
  8. Core

Super Geek Im Pulling for ya VIP Member

Doesn't Outlook express have a filter system??

Super Geek, Jan 22, 2004
  9. Core

Outlook HAS a filter system, but the problem is not with filtering the email into the junk mail folder...the problem is that it cannot be filtered until it has been downloaded, and I don't want to download hundreds of kilobytes of virus-infected emails to begin with. And to the best of my knowledge this feature is completely lacking in Outlook.

Core, Jan 22, 2004
  10. Core

Ruler1 Hi VIP Member

i get all these spams as well...most of them assuming i want to increase my manhood and the others are the ones saying that it couldnt deliver it

Ruler1, Jan 22, 2004
  11. Core

loribee59

you guys crack me up... [​IMG]

ever heard of Mailwasher? greatest little spambouncer, and it's FREE

check this out: http://www.mailwasher.net

~loribee59

loribee59, Mar 6, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question