South Korea schools going digital

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Technology' started by clifford, Jul 4, 2011.

1. clifford

clifford VIP Member

South Korea to go completely digital for textbooks by 2015

Read more here - http://www.techspot.com/news/44534-south-korea-to-go-completely-digital-for-textbooks-by-2015.html
    ----
    I think the whole world will advance to this level before long. :)

clifford, Jul 4, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. clifford

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

Whist I like the advances in technology, I'm not sure I think it's a good idea for kids to lose hand-written skills, call me old fashioned, but I think a mix would be nice :)

Nickweb, Jul 4, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. clifford

Zeus Moderator

A friend of mine was telling me that his 13 year old has a class where it is taught from a remote location. All the students have a button at their desk that they press when they have a question. There is a teacher in the classroom as well to provide adult supervision. It didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Zeus, Jul 5, 2011
  4. clifford

Ian Administrator

I can see that having something like a Kindle may make loads more sense than having textbooks to carry around. I remember at University my bag would often be full of several very thick and heavy books for lectures, but carrying round a light Kindle would have been much easier!

I wonder if writing will become a lost art in centuries to come :lol2. I hardly write at all now that I think about it, just shopping lists and Christmas cards!

Ian, Jul 5, 2011
  5. clifford

Maurice Bloody good bloke VIP Member

It already is if you think about it. No need to write out birthday cards etc - you have web sites like funkypigeon.com et al where you can create a card online and have it posted to the recipient. Totally impersonal.....

Maurice, Jul 5, 2011
  6. clifford

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

Well, the star trek Voyager episode 'Unforgettable' there is a scene where Chakotay uses an 'ancient' form of communication to write down some memories. Seems pretty realistic to me that in the future writing by hand will be obselite.

Nickweb, Jul 5, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question