Someone is spoofing my email address

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by karansaraf, Nov 4, 2010.

1. karansaraf

karansaraf VIP Member

For the last 4 or 5 days, I've been receiving about 10 "Mail Delivery Failure" emails at my gmail account, saying that these emails that I am "sending" could not be delivered. Clearly it is someone spoofing my account. I also received a gmail notification saying that my account was accessed in China. I do not know how this is possible, as I doubt anyone could have gotten my password. Either way, I changed my password to a different one (I use two passwords for internet related stuff, and I changed to the other). Since then I've continued getting these Mail Delivery Failure emails, so clearly it is still going on.

Now I don't really care that I'm being spoofed by some spammers all that much. It's just annoying having all these failure emails in my inbox every day. I can't even mark them as spam as they come from the Gmail server and will get through regardless.

I am assuming I cannot really do anything about it, but I thought I'd ask here if anyone knew of anything that could help?

karansaraf, Nov 4, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. karansaraf

Core in pounce mode Moderator

Are you absolutely certain that those mailer daemon emails come from Google? According to Google they can tell when the failed email was not really sent from your account, so you shouldn't get an alert for it.

There used to be a link somewhere in Gmail to information about recent connections to your account. You could double-check there (if it still exists) if your account has indeed been accessed from China or something. At any rate, there may not be much you can do but weather this.

Core, Nov 5, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. karansaraf

karansaraf VIP Member

Yeah it has definitely been coming from google and according to that page, my account was accessed twice from china. I have no idea how they would have gotten my password as I am careful about Internet security. Anyway they seemed to have stopped for now.

karansaraf, Nov 11, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question