Skype and IE7 help needed

Discussion in 'Gadgets and Technology' started by MikeT, Jul 15, 2008.

1. MikeT

MikeT Outlet Forums Contributor VIP Member

Hair pulling time here on this one, until yesterday if someone in a skype chat posted a web addy I could click on the link they posted and it would open the page in IE7

Now apart from a Skype update the day before yesterday which may have altered something but not taken effect until I restarted the system, nothing has changed on my pc that I know of but....

Now when I click a link in skype I get the Welcome to MSN explorer page opening asking me to sign into MSN.
    Now MSN is something I havnt used for years so even though it lists my user name I dont know my password there any more, not that I want to use it anyway.

Anyone have any idea how to get IE7 back as the perfered object opened when I click a link?

MikeT, Jul 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. MikeT

joby Outlet Forums Contributor VIP Member

you running XP or Vista? What does it do if you click a link somewhere else - email/word doc etc.? Or a desktop shortcut?

joby, Jul 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. MikeT

Vital info missing eh!

XP is the OS and clicking links from outside of Skype still opens IE7 as before, its only links within skype msg's that seem to have been affected.

MikeT, Jul 15, 2008
  4. MikeT

erm.... OK- I'll bow out then as I've never used skype so no clue I'm afraid - other than remove and reinstall?

joby, Jul 15, 2008
  5. MikeT

:) I did a Skype reinstall already, no change, I even installed the skype add on for IE7 but that did nothing to help either. I put in a ticket to skype but dont expect too much from them.

MikeT, Jul 15, 2008
  6. MikeT

Maybe have a look through the skype section of the registry for the msn exe file?

joby, Jul 15, 2008
  7. MikeT

Managed to fix it :)

Although IE7 was set as the default browser, it had somehow got corrupted. I set FFox as default but it still didnt fix the skype opening MSN problem, then I told IE7 it was again default browser and that fixed it.

Such a small problem in the grand scheme of things but it was really bugging me big time, funny old life isnt it. :thumb:

MikeT, Jul 15, 2008
  8. MikeT

nicely.... :thumb:

joby, Jul 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question