Setting up dual router network

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by binarysoul, Dec 1, 2010.

1. binarysoul

binarysoul InnocentBystander VIP Member

Hey everyone

This should be a routine exercise, I've done this at my own home but now I am trying to setup a network at my parents house. Their actual modem is outside of the house in the 'shop' where they get satellite internet from xplornet. (Canadians might know it?). It is a connection type I am unfamiliar with.

I bought them two routers, both D-Link DIR 615 (wireless N) and went about setting the first one up in the shop and connection it to the internet. That much went fine, connection setting is Dynamic IP and all of the devices wired and wirelessly connected to the first router work fine.

I went to setup the one inside, changed it's IP (from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.2), disabled it as a DHCP server and connected it to the router outside in the shop. It won't connect to the internet, infact I'm not even sure it is communicating with the other router.

binarysoul, Dec 1, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. binarysoul

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

I'm not familiar with D-Links, but what it seems that you want to do is make the other router just a wireless access point, correct? I don't think D-Links will do that. I've done it with a Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT firmware. Hopefully someone else here knows the D-Links better.

Can you see the wireless connection from the shop inside the house? If so, how strong is it?

Goober, Dec 3, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question