server for email marketing

Discussion in 'System Building & Upgrades' started by Joshua, Oct 26, 2009.

1. Joshua

Joshua

My employer would like to have his own server for email marketing purposes. How do I go about in setting up a server for this purpose. How do I go about in setting up a server period?

Joshua, Oct 26, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Joshua

Maurice Bloody good bloke VIP Member

Hi, can you give us a bit more detail please? For example, does the organisation already have its own mail server such as MS Exchange or is your mail hosted?
    Do you have a permanent Internet connection and of what capacity?

If you do not currently have an in-house mail server you could download a FREE copy of mailenable standard edition and use that. You'll need a domain name such as mycompany.com and you'd need to set the DNS MX record to point to your external IP address. Then on your Firewall you'd set up an SMTP handler and set it to route incoming/outcoming email to the IP address of the server that has emailenable installed.

If you already have got an Internal email server then it's a different story. In that case it would probably be best if Marketing made use of an external solution. These are ideal for mail shots. You set up the message templates and fire it off to the external system which then does the mailing out to all the addresses in the database.

Maurice, Oct 26, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Joshua

Joshua

Hey, we have our own email systems that we use through outlook. My employer just wants his own server to blast out 100,000 emails on a weekly basis. The second part of your message is what im interested in. Anyway you can please lead me into the right direction.

Joshua, Oct 26, 2009
  4. Joshua

Maurice, Oct 26, 2009
  5. Joshua

Joshua

I know of these programs, its some that we use. Its just that my employer doesnt want to go through a third party, he wants to do it on his own server, his own software. I know its sound rough

Joshua, Oct 26, 2009
  6. Joshua

That is not really feasible for a couple of reasons:

1. all outgoing email from your mail server is routed via SMTP to your Firewall/gateway which send it on. All email sent to you arrives at the Firewall/gateway and is routed to your main email server. So, it is not feasible to have a second email server on the system. Yes you can have clustered Exchange systems but they are complex.

2. volumes of traffic. 100,000 messages a week is massive and would virtually kill your Internet connection. Believe me, my Marking team were sending 1,000 messages at a time and it was killing our 10mbps fiber connection. I had to slap their wrists and tell them to send no more than 250 at a time.

Far better to use an external system where you have a database of addressess and all you do locally is construct the mass-mailing message in a template and send the one message off and their system does the mail-merge etc.

Maurice, Oct 26, 2009
    Zeus likes this.
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question