Search for Cheap Network Storage

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by Brando16, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brando16

Brando16 The Mixed Bag

Hey everyone, I'm out and about again looking for a way to get an External hard drive connected to my Linksys Router, removing the need for the 250GB Family Comp to always be on so I can access it ;). I'm hoping to find a cheap Network HD so it can be accessed at anytime.

FTP support would be real sweet, but I think that increases the price a bit. I noticed Linksys has a new device that allows you to connect an External HD, but it doesn't seem to be getting much fanfare at websites such as CNet. Anyone with expierence in this field able to recommend any solutions?

Brando16, Apr 17, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Brando16

Codex85 Mouse Potato VIP Member

This has been getting good reviews across the board, and you can't beat the NewEgg price.

Codex85, Apr 17, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Brando16

James Photojournalist VIP Member

What's your price range? Are you looking for an ad-hoc setup like the one you listed or a true NAS device?

James, Apr 17, 2006
  4. Brando16

Brando16 The Mixed Bag

Whichever is the cheapest (Guessing the true NAS would cost more). If I can access it from my laptop whenever the cable internet is functioning, I'm happy.

I don't really have a lot of money to play around with, since I'm saving for Prom. I might find myself getting the Linksys device if I can find people who regularly use it...I got an 80GB External HD from school that I use, so if there is something out there besides the Linksys device that lets you connect it to a network for use, I could see myself getting that.

Brando16, Apr 18, 2006
  5. Brando16

Brando16 The Mixed Bag

(Sorry for double-posting.)

I've got more money to play with now...I really don't want a noisy External HD in my room on at all times, so I'm looking at a NAS for the Network so I can leave it on downstairs and access it anytime. If I understand correctly, I can purchase a network storage adapter (NetGear SC101) and then simply purchase an internal Hard Drive to put in it. The Netgear SC101 is the only thing I found that did something like this, but doesn't seem to have all the features I want. I want something that...

- Can accept a 250GB+ NTFS FileSystem (for importing video...I pass that 4GB mark after 18 minutes of recording)
    - Has Firewire/USB Connections as well as the RJ45 (for a direct connection to my laptop if I need additional speed, or the network stops working...)
    - Can be accessed via FTP (If possible...so I can access my Hard Drive anywhere)

The challenge is to find something that can accomadate all this. Does anyone have any idea what I should consider buying?

This 300GB NAS Drive seems to meet almost all my wants, but the FAT32 HD can't be converted...there must be something out there like this that supports NTFS.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
    Brando16, Jun 7, 2006
  6. Brando16

imuniq

thanks for shearing.. i have same question n now i m satisfied ..

imuniq, Mar 25, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question