Screen resolution problems

Discussion in 'System Security & Infection Support' started by needfixing, Apr 24, 2005.

1. needfixing

needfixing

Okay I have practically no clue as to what is wrong with my computer. For the second time this year my computer has started to screw up. It actually started with the resizing of my display back down to 400x600 spontaneously. Then gradually I started getting blue screens with stuff like "fatal exception" & "the current application will be terminated". I copied down a whole example if that'll help anyone in helping me. Sometimes after these blue screens I couldnt continue and had to hit the power button on my computer. I ran AVG Free and it found 4 things around 10,000 files in (not that that helps but it was temporary internet files apparently). Two were Trojan Horse Downloader.Small.34V and the other two were Trojan Horse Dialer.25.AN.
    Well I let the virus program continue running and got an error msg similar to "illegal operation" but it said "something bad happened" and AVG was closed and basically again I had to restart. Well tried to virus thing again and it started to tell me it couldnt scan C or D drive so it finished the scan early. After awhile I was able to scan again and the scan reached those 4 files again. I stopped it and it seemed like the went into the virus vault. In future the virus program never found them again but the blue screens kept coming up and eventually the computer would just restart when it reached windows (this is 98 SE btw).
    I reformatted and tried reinstalling windows (thats what worked last time). Several attempts and windows still wouldnt install. I STILL got the fatal exception blue screen. I have only just managed to get windows installed again but it still seems that there are some bugs or something. Opening my computer/explorer and MSN messenger brought blue screens and restarted before but they appear to be working fine.
    Basically though I just want some help in being positive that everything is working now and that nothing is still screwing up my computer. Thanks in advance

needfixing, Apr 24, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. needfixing

Phil VIP Member

Hmm, if you have reinstalled windows and it is still happening, more than likely it is a hardware isuue. What are your harware specs?

Phil, Apr 24, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. needfixing

James Photojournalist

Full memory dump messages can help too. Run Memtest86 and report back with the results.

James, Apr 24, 2005
  4. needfixing

needfixing

Feel kind of stupid because I dont know my hardware specs...and I cant get that memtest thing working. Think its a problem with my floppy drive tho.

needfixing, Apr 25, 2005
  5. needfixing

James Photojournalist

If you have a burner, try using their ISO instead. Do you happen to have the full error message for your issue?

James, Apr 25, 2005
  6. needfixing

needfixing

Nah I dont have a burner unfortunately.

Umm one error message was blue screen with "An exception OE has occurred at 0028:C29D40C3 in VxD. This was called from 0029:4C00A2FF in VxD. It may be possible to continue normally."
    I also occasionally get error messages as windows starts up that says that there was a problem with the display and that display settings arent correct for the hardware. Could it be my video card with the problem? I just dont see how that could have affected my reinstallation of windows like it did.

needfixing, Apr 26, 2005
  7. needfixing

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

Hold old is your hard drive? This has all the marks of a dying drive.

Fenis-Wolf, Apr 26, 2005
  8. needfixing

needfixing

Well my primary drive C is fairly new - replaced just last year I think. However the slave drive D is several years old.

needfixing, Apr 27, 2005
  9. needfixing

James Photojournalist

Too bad you don't have a burner, you could burn a bootable disk from your drive manufacturer and run a disk utility on it. Though I think most still offer a floppy option.

James, Apr 27, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question