Santa Rosa Laptops are surpisingly Cheap!

Discussion in 'System Building & Upgrades' started by rafiki6, Jun 13, 2007.

1. rafiki6

rafiki6 VIP Member

So I am searching around for a new laptop. I was looking for a system that was pretty mainstream to mid-range. I found several new Santa Rosa laptops offered mainly by Asus and LG right now. They are surprisingly, CHEAP!

Santa Rosa laptops are selling for cheaper than some of their Napa counter parts. They are offering pretty hefty options too.

A Santa Rosa Laptop offering a T7500 Core 2 Duo, with an 800 Mt/s FSB, 2 GB of DDR2 667Mhz RAM, a 160 GB 5400 RPM Hard Drive, a new Nvidia Geforce 8600M GS 256 MB Dedicated (Successor to the Geforce Go 7600, with a faster clock, and a new instruction set) a 9 cell-Li Ion battery, and a built in Intel 4695 A/B/G/N wirless card, goes for around 2200 $ Canadian Funds.

Comparitevly a Napa notebook when it was released, with similar specs, was about 500-1000 dollars more, depending on make and manufacturer.

Even now the prices between Santa Rosa notebooks and Napa notebooks are comparable, Santa Rosa notebooks being slightly more expensive, or somtime cheaper, depending on what you compare.

For those who don't quite know Santa Rosa is the new Centrino Platform offered by Intel, and Napa is its predecessor.

Read up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrino#Santa_Rosa_platform_.282007.29

rafiki6, Jun 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. rafiki6

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

You can purchase a MacBook Pro with all the above features, plus LED backlighting for $1999 on apple.com right now.

Fenis-Wolf, Jun 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. rafiki6

rafiki6 VIP Member

Well, that is out of my budget. I am in the ragne of 1000-1599 max. Besides I think MacBooks are over priced, and not as flexible as pc laptops. I mean they are great quality and extremely reliable, but I am a PC man, and I prefer the flexibility of PC notebooks. I also do not like the fact that in order to run Windows on a MacBook I need to use BootCamp. If any thing I would prefer to run a Linux Distro over MacOS or Windows.

Earlier I was just making a comment about the prices of the new Santa Rosa Core 2 Duos. They are selling for cheaper and I was unsure why. Intel released their new processors cheaper than their 667 FSB counterparts and I was surprised.

rafiki6, Jun 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question