Safe to retrieve data from messed up mp3 player?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Core, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Core

Core in pounce mode Moderator

I fell in a puddle of mud today, and not only did my legs, hands, pants and part of my shirt get soaked in mud, but so did my Philips GoGear mp3 player. It's done for - the turn-on logo was fixed on the lcd screen until it wiped the battery out; it wouldn't respond to any buttons. There's mud water inside the whole thing. I opened it up and I don't think there's a prayer for it.

However, I would very much like to be able to retrieve the 7 gb of mp3s that are on that flash drive inside the thing. My question for those of you who know how USB devices work (from an electrical point of view I guess) is whether you think it would be safe to try and connect the device to my PC via USB cable to retrieve data from the flash memory. My concern is, if there's mud or whatnot in there, can it shortcircuit something and maybe burn out my PC's usb controller or the whole motherboard? I don't really know how the power connections in these devices work.

Normally I'd say screw it and forget about it, but a lot of those mp3s I don't have on my PC anymore. Rebuilding all those playlists is something I'd like to be able to avoid if possible.

What do you think?

Core, Mar 31, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Core

Zeus Moderator

Well there is a very slim possibility that you would burn out the entire motherboard from the USB port shorting out, not impossible but not very likely.

I would take it apart and clean it up and dry it thoroughly 1st, then you should be ok.

Zeus, Mar 31, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Core

Ian Administrator

I'd agree with that too, there's a small chance it could short something - but not very likely.

You never know, once it's dried it might work ok anyway :)

Ian, Mar 31, 2009
  4. Core

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

give it a week or so in a warm place, then try

Nickweb, Mar 31, 2009
  5. Core

Codex85 Mouse Potato VIP Member

I would proceed with caution, as it's entirely possible to short out at least portions of your motherboard by connecting a faulty device. However, I have successfully used USB thumb drives that went through the wash (after a thorough drying-out).

Codex85, Apr 1, 2009
  6. Core

Zeus Moderator

And if you are worried about doing that, then you can always mail it to me and I can see if I am able to retrieve them...after all forensic recovery is part of my job description :)

Zeus, Apr 1, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question