rundll32 cmicnfg

Discussion in 'System Security & Infection Support' started by Hummingbird, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Hummingbird

Hummingbird VIP Member

my dad has "RunDll32 cmicnfg" listed in his startup items when i use msconfig and i had no idea what it was so i did a google search and it said that sometimes that can be used to hide malware. other places it just said that it was a harmless sound card function.

should i disable this? could it be a problem? if it was, would pc-cillin and hijackthis have found it? should i just leave it alone?

cynthia :)

Hummingbird, Sep 29, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Hummingbird

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

Try to disable it and see if your sound card is impacted-more than likely its nothing. Sound cards will sometimes leave things laying around often times without a good description.

Fenis-Wolf, Sep 30, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird VIP Member

well, if none of you have ever heard of this causing any problems, i'll leave it alone. my dad's got all his amateur radio software hooked up to this computer and he had to set up some different audio settings and stuff to get things to work and i wouldn't wanna screw that up - he'd murder me. thanks for the info, though!

cynthia :)

Hummingbird, Oct 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question