Replacing My Motherboard

Discussion in 'System Building & Upgrades' started by Zeus, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Zeus

Zeus Moderator

Well, I got a bad motherboard from the start when my computer was built. I need a new one.

Here is my current mobo

I am considering this ASRock A785GM-LE or this ASRock N68C-S

Which of these do you recommend? Since building isn't my strong point, if you have a better suggestion (or if for some reason these aren't compatible with my current hardware), let me know.

And if I am going to replace my motherboard, this is my cpu. It could also stand to be upgraded, but an upgrade here is not necessary since it was running like a boss when the computer finally died.

Also, while you guys are throwing out suggestions, I would not be opposed to switching from AMD to Intel if I replace both the mobo and CPU, my only requirement there is to make sure my video card and RAM are compatible.

Then again, after looking at prices, I may take my tax return and go build a new one...

Zeus, Feb 26, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. Zeus

clifford VIP Member

I'm not much for AMD, I've always been an Intel guy. I don't see a problem with using your GPU in a new system. The GeForce 9800 GTX may be a little power hungry but should work just fine in any system you decide to build.

You should reconsider using your DDR2 RAM. Even the older platforms are converting to DDR3 memory. You can get DDR3 1333 (2 x 2GB) as a replacement for only $25 and open your options considerably. I'm not trying to talk you out of using your DDR2 memory but if you are planning an upgrade, prices for DDR3 are cheap compared to other components.

clifford, Feb 26, 2012
    Zeus likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. Zeus

Zeus Moderator

And this is why I posted up here. Building and upgrades are not my strong points, I can troubleshoot like a beast though. Replacing the mobo has me a little nervous because I suck and finding compatible parts, and I usually turn to the mobo to make sure what I am buying will work....

I didn't even look at DDR3 b/c I have DDR2. Do you have any suggestions for a mobo that takes DDR3?

I was also thinking about buying a new video card, but if I do I want it to be able to SLI with my current one so that wouldn't really decrease the power consumption of my video. I didn't really compare my current card with what is out there to see if I should upgrade or not.

Zeus, Feb 26, 2012
  4. Zeus

clifford VIP Member

I don't have any suggestions as I don't feel qualified, I'd hate to sway your judgement and then you have problems.

It is my understanding that to Crossfire or SLI, you would need two identical cards. Otherwise they would not link properly and have two different performance levels.

- - - -

I don't mind helping you look and giving a few ideas. List all you your parts so that way I can look for possible incompatibility issues.

1. Is DDR3 on the table now for an option?
    2. Are your HDD's SATA or IDE? (The newest motherboards have dropped onboard IDE)
    3. Do you prefer a board that supports SATA 3.0 (6G)? If you ever intend on buying an SSD, you'd want this speed.
    4. Do you prefer a board that supports USB 3.0 (5G)? Newer external HDD's and Pen Drives are adopting this interface as it is much faster than USB 2.0 interface. USB 3.0 is backward compatible to USB 2.0 but has extra pins in the connector for faster transfer speeds (Speeds exceeding SATA 2.0 speeds).
    5. Are you looking for an SLI capable motherboard? You mentioned SLI, so I suspect you are looking for a board that has at least 2 PCIe x16 card slots.

If you decide you do want SATA 3.0 and USB 3.0 then you may also find your CPU is no longer compatible to motherboards with these features. If I was to give a recommendation it would be a board that supported your CPU or an i3-2100 Sandy Bridge.

clifford, Feb 26, 2012
  5. Zeus

Zeus Moderator

I'm not a fan of AMD so much as a fan of performance. When this machine was built in 07 or 08 AMD was topping the benchmarks. Last I looked, about a year ago intel was, so I would not be opposed to switching to intel.

I put everything into my profile when the machine was 1st built so I would have a list. If you are still interested, you are welcome to take a look...but I have a new plan.

I'm going to go ahead and drop the $50 on a new mobo to get my current rig running again. When I get my tax returns back, I am going to build a new one and give my GF my current rig so she has something better to play her games on.

*Edit - Problem, the 2 mobos that I listed are micro ATX and I need ATX. After searching, I don't see any ATX that will support my CPU so I will need to buy a mobo and CPU for my rig :(

So for the new rig, the answer to your questions:

Is DDR3 on the table now for an option?
    - Yes, DDR3 it is

Are your HDD's SATA or IDE? (The newest motherboards have dropped onboard IDE)
    - SATA, but I will be purchasing new HDDs with the new rig...also SATA.

Do you prefer a board that supports SATA 3.0 (6G)? If you ever intend on buying an SSD, you'd want this speed.
    - Yes. In fact the OS Drive of my new rig will be a SSD.

Do you prefer a board that supports USB 3.0 (5G)? Newer external HDD's and Pen Drives are adopting this interface as it is much faster than USB 2.0 interface. USB 3.0 is backward compatible to USB 2.0 but has extra pins in the connector for faster transfer speeds (Speeds exceeding SATA 2.0 speeds).
    - I have a USB 3.0 external drive, so this will also be a yes

Are you looking for an SLI capable motherboard? You mentioned SLI, so I suspect you are looking for a board that has at least 2 PCIe x16 card slots.
    - I would prefer an SLI capable mobo and card. I will get a kick ass card and then a couple years down the road SLI that card with another for my upgrade.

Zeus, Feb 27, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question