Recording a radio station using a sound program

Discussion in 'Software' started by Zeeg, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Zeeg

Zeeg Noob

Hey,
    i'd like to find out if I can record about an hour of this radio station from my computer so I can put it into my Ipod. Is there some kind of program that can do that with out paying a sum of money?

Zeeg, Apr 24, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Zeeg

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

Nickweb, Apr 24, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Zeeg

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

My spiffy All-In-Wonder video card has a built in radio tuner, so if I wanted to all I have to do is record what I am hearing. Or use the program that came with it. So as long as you can get a radio tuner for a pci slot you can record the radio, if not hold a mic up to the stereo.

Im pretty sure that you can record the show with out permission, it would be similar to a tv show. If you wanted to show it to the masses, you woulld have to obtain permission.

Goober, Apr 24, 2006
  4. Zeeg

Dave601 Web Guru VIP Member

I have never used this, but you can definitely try it out. It looks like it would work well for what you are trying to do. Let us know how it works out for you.

Dave601, Apr 24, 2006
  5. Zeeg

Zeeg Noob

Daves program works really well but it was a free trial and i wanted to record more than 1 minute and 40 minutes. I love the program though.

Zeeg, Apr 24, 2006
  6. Zeeg

TheOneGreatX VIP Member

Just use any sound recording program and plug your radio from its headphone jack into your line in port.

TheOneGreatX, Apr 25, 2006
  7. Zeeg

Dave601 Web Guru VIP Member

Ahh...crap sorry about that. I thought they might screw you over with a trial version. :smack

Dave601, Apr 25, 2006
  8. Zeeg

binarysoul InnocentBystander VIP Member

I am pretty sure with audacity you can simply record what is going out, I know with some of the more advanced programs you can.

binarysoul, Apr 25, 2006
  9. Zeeg

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

I agree with Ovid all the way up untill you want to edit the audio.

Goober, Apr 26, 2006
  10. Zeeg

Zeeg Noob

Well this is what i did,

Since I use Winamp to listen to my radio, i used a program for winamp called Streamripper. I beleive it is for other things like Windows Media Player also. Atleast with Winamp, you could just install it as a plugin, restart Winamp and it comes up automaticly. When you press the start button, it literally connects to the online radio station you select and start recording. You dont even have to be listening to the station. It creates a folder on the desktop with the name of the radio station as the title and it record the songs that play on the radio, instead of just recording the whole radio broadcast. This is nice because you can choose your songs instead of listen everything in the same order. It also puts the files on a nice MP3 format, which was perfect for my Ipod. Last thing, it also creates a Incomplete folder inside the radio folder, for those songs that wernt recorded all the way or started recording in the middle of a song. You can just delete them.

Its a really good program to use. I highly recommend it.
    Here is the link to it. Try it out.
    http://streamripper.sourceforge.net/

Zeeg

Zeeg, Apr 26, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question