Quick browsing security question re. Windows 7

Discussion in 'System Security & Infection Support' started by karansaraf, Sep 22, 2012.

1. karansaraf

karansaraf VIP Member

I'm just about to set up a W7 computer for my little sister.

She often goes on online sites where you can stream tv shows/movies etc and in the past has ended up with spy/ad/malware as a result of going on these sites, some of which are riddled with them.

She's of an age where the more I tell her to not do something, the less likely she is to stick to that, so in the interest of preventing (as much as possible) this happening again, what are some good programs/add ons I can install to stop this stuff infecting the computer in real time?

I will of course, be installing Spyboy S&D, Adaware and either Avast or AVG (any preferences? Any better free anti virus software than those two?) as well as adblock and popup blocker extensions on Chrome and Firefox, but are there any other suggestions you guys have regarding this? It's not something that happens all the time, it's happened two or three times in the last few years (16 year old girls are going to do what they want!)

Many thanks.

karansaraf, Sep 22, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. karansaraf

clifford VIP Member

Stick with Avast!! I personally use MSE for my anti-virus. Don't use AVG, there has been too many horror stories with Windows 7, including one of my own. AVG is allot better now but still don't quite have it all together.

clifford, Sep 22, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question