Question about downloading flash video from browser

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by karansaraf, Feb 18, 2013.

1. karansaraf

karansaraf VIP Member

Bit of background:

I'm a doctor who is studying for exams that all doctors have to do as part of their professional development.
    I have subscribed to an online learning resource that provides video lectures and question bank for the exam, subscription lasts until July 10th (day of my exam).

Currently, and for the next few months, I'm on a quiet rotation in a quiet clinic that leaves me with a couple of hours a day where I have time to study. However, the video lectures on the website don't play on these computers at work (not sure why, am using latest version of Chrome)

So I would like to be able to download these flash videos embedded onto the website, put them on a memory stick and use them at work.

I know techiehq isn't a place you can ask for help to infringe copyright etc, but I have actually paid for the whole subscription and just want to be able to make use of my time efficiently, so was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions regarding how to do this?

Can't actually link you to a page that contains the video, as it's only accessible by people with subscriptions, but if you need any information about the type of video eg. by looking through the source code, then I can look if you tell me exactly what it is I need to be looking for!

Many thanks.

karansaraf, Feb 18, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. karansaraf

Ian Administrator

Ian, Feb 19, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. karansaraf

karansaraf VIP Member

Thanks for the reply :)

Normally use Chrome, but in Firefox the videodownloadhelper doesn't actually detect that there is a video embedded on the page.

Using Chrome, I search the page source/"inspect element".

No FLV to be found anywhere in the text.
    When I search for swf, all I get are:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="/2011_scripts/jwplayer/player.swf" width="100%" height="100%" bgcolor="#000000" id="container" name="container" tabindex="0"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true"><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="true"><param name="wmode" value="opaque"><param name="flashvars" value="netstreambasepath=http%3A%2F%2Fmypastest.pastest.co.uk%2FSecure%2FMultimediaPlayer%2FIndex.aspx%3FSection%3D1&amp;id=container&amp;flashplayer=%2F2011_scripts%2Fjwplayer%2Fplayer.swf&amp;skin=%2F2011_scripts%2Fjwplayer%2Fskins%2Fpastest-vlecture%2Fpastest-vlecture.zip&amp;file=MRCP2_Cardiology_L1_hi&amp;streamer=rtmp%3A%2F%2F212.57.249.113%3A1935%2Fvod&amp;provider=rtmp&amp;controlbar.position=bottom"></object>

and

jwplayer("container").setup({
    flashplayer: "/2011_scripts/jwplayer/player.swf",
    height: 461,
    width: 731,
    skin: "/2011_scripts/jwplayer/skins/pastest-vlecture/pastest-vlecture.zip",
    controlbar: {
    position: "bottom"
    },
    modes: [
    { type: "flash",
    src: "/2011_scripts/jwplayer/player.swf",
    config: {
    file: "MRCP2_Cardiology_L1_hi",
    streamer:"rtmp://212.57.249.113:1935/vod",
    provider: "rtmp"
    }
    },
    { type: "html5",
    config: {
    file: "http://212.57.249.113:1935/vod/mp4:MRCP2_Cardiology_L1_hi.m4v/playlist.m3u8"
    }
    },
    { type: "download" }
    ]
    });

All instances of swf are not preceded by the actual filename.

Any other suggestions!?

karansaraf, Feb 20, 2013
  4. karansaraf

Ian Administrator

I can't figure it out from that code, although I'm sure it must be possible to do. Perhaps someone else here will know more :).

Sometimes, the video files are downloaded to your temp internet files folder - so it may be worth checking in there once you've fully streamed a file?

Ian, Feb 25, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question