PSU Up-grade

Discussion in 'System Building & Upgrades' started by 426Hemi, Dec 21, 2010.

1. 426Hemi

426Hemi

Hello. I have an IBM Thinkcenter 8183-21U. I recently added a VGA card. It wouldn't work with the factory installed PSU at 200w because the card needs 250w. So, I bought a Fatality 1 Gaming Gear, 550w power supply. Because it will not fit into the 8183, I ran all connections through an empty card slot. What happens upon start-up is; the unit kicks on for one millisecond (the red lights flash and the fan moves one inch) then nothing. The green light is on for the PC but other than that, all is quiet on the western front; no fans, hard drive, etc. I know the PSU works because I jumped it through the green/black. I put the old PSU back in and everything works fine (except for the graphics card of course). I am at a loss as to why it won't work.

Does the external PSU need to be grounded to the chassis?
    Is it not compatible with the IMB format?
    Is there a way around this or a PSU that "will" work?

Baffled and powerless>

Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
    426Hemi, Dec 21, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. 426Hemi

Maurice Bloody good bloke VIP Member

well the case of the PSU most definitely needs to be earthed to the metalwork of the chassis of the computer case.

Maurice, Dec 22, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. 426Hemi

426Hemi

PSU Upgrade

OK, I was wondering about wether or not the PSU needs to be "earth grounded." In fact, I talked to the manufacturer of the PSU an he said that it should work, grounded or not (maybe were both idiots). I will try agian with a ground wire attached to the chassis and if solved, will let you know. :redface

426Hemi, Dec 22, 2010
  4. 426Hemi

Core in pounce mode Moderator

Maybe it's a voltage issue. Laptop power needs are higher volt lower amp. While you have a 12V rail in a desktop, typically laptops run 19V or somewhere in that area.

Core, Dec 22, 2010
  5. 426Hemi

426Hemi

PSU Upgrade

I retried the above with the difference of hooking-up a ground wire from the PSU to the computer chassis. Same results as above.

426Hemi, Dec 23, 2010
  6. 426Hemi

Zeus Moderator

My 1st guess was the PSU needed to be grounded to the case as well, so if that didn't work I don't know what the problem is.

Zeus, Dec 24, 2010
  7. 426Hemi

426Hemi

PSU Upgrade

I read an article in Wikipedia> power supplies> computers. It mentions that PSUs have both overload and under-load protection. It also mentions that a computer that draws below (or above) the set minimum (or maximum) power threshold will start temporarily then shut-down. This is exactly what my set-up is doing. It also mentions that if a 10w bulb, or a resistor, is hooked-up to it it will keep running. I'm thinking that because I added a higher watt out-put PSU the minimum threshold is higher than the original PSU therefore it shuts down. Any comments?

426Hemi, Dec 24, 2010
  8. 426Hemi

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

A good theory there, but I don't know of a way to increase the systems consumption of the PSU, OR of a way to lower the PSUs minimum threshold.

Only thing I can think of is to try another PSU

Nickweb, Dec 24, 2010
  9. 426Hemi

Goober THQ's Jester Moderator

Faulty PSU? Plausible.

Goober, Dec 26, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question