PSU Makes buzzing sounds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JEMASCOLA, Dec 19, 2004.

1. JEMASCOLA

JEMASCOLA VIP Member

Lately, my PC's been making a weird noise. At first, I thought it was one of my fans, so I took it out. A day or so later, though, it was still making the same noise. I listened inside, and thought it could be the processor's fan, but I ruled that out, as the noise seemed to be coming from the PSU from what I could tell.

Sometimes (quite lately), it will make a loud buzzing sound. After a few minutes, it will begin to taper down. Then, after maybe 3 minutes or so, it'll finally quit.

Does anyone have an idea what the problem is? Could the PSU fan be dying out, is the PSU getting old?

-Joey

God Bless America!

JEMASCOLA, Dec 19, 2004
    rafiki6 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

2. JEMASCOLA

D Schrute Assistant Sensei VIP Member

Does the intensity of the noise seems to increase when you are installing a program or is it completely intermittent?

D Schrute, Dec 19, 2004
    rafiki6 likes this.
    1. Advertisements

3. JEMASCOLA

Ruler1 Hi VIP Member

mine did the exact same thing today when I started it up

After a while ( and with a few pounds on the case) it finally stopped

Ruler1, Dec 19, 2004
    rafiki6 likes this.
  4. JEMASCOLA

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

Not a doubt in my mind that you have a cable dipping into a fan somewhere. Put the PSU fan back, and observe the running system closely.

Fenis-Wolf, Dec 19, 2004
  5. JEMASCOLA

JEMASCOLA VIP Member

Yes, it is intermittent, and it often happens just when the system starts up. By the time it gets to Windows, the noise slows down and eventually quits. I don't know if maybe it's broken or something.

That could be a possibility about the wires. I thought that, too, but as far as I know, there aren't, but I will check and see. I have been moving, removing, and installing some drives lately.

-Joey

God Bless America!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2004
    JEMASCOLA, Dec 21, 2004
  6. JEMASCOLA

deftones yup VIP Member

I have the exact same problem with my front case fan. It lasts maybe 10 seconds after I turn the PC on (or until I hit the front of the case). I checked for cables and dust and such but it seemed fine. I think whatever it is it's slowing the fan down because as soon as it quits I can hear the fan speeding back up.

deftones, Dec 21, 2004
    rafiki6 likes this.
  7. JEMASCOLA

James Photojournalist

It's probably dust or hair that settles then takes awhile for it to blow out of the way.

James, Dec 21, 2004
  8. JEMASCOLA

rafiki6 VIP Member

Ya just like James said, you probably should just clean out the inside of your tower if you know how to properly. I had the same problem and it turned out that it was just dust. I opened my case and the dust just hit me. I was blind for about 5 minutes from waht was in there. Gees its nasty in there. Another suggestion might be that it was finaly just quiet enough for you to hear the sound. It was there form the begining just that you never heard it. That was the case wiht my old computer. One last thing. Did you build the pc or is it an OEM build?

rafiki6, Dec 21, 2004
  9. JEMASCOLA

deftones yup VIP Member

I think the problem with my fan is with the dust. The new problem is that I can't get to it without taking out the harddrives, probably floppy, and pressing the 10 million tabs that hold the front of the case together. If anyone familiar with Dell cases could show me a better way to get to the front fan I'd appreciate it.

deftones, Dec 28, 2004
  10. JEMASCOLA

JEMASCOLA VIP Member

My PC's an OEM built by Packard Bell. However, a few weeks ago I moved my PC to another room, and recently it's tapered off. Now, it hasn't made a buzzing noise in about 2-3 weeks I'd say.

I probably should clean it out and check for dust anyway, though. Just something as simple as dust could cause major problems to a PC's performance.

God Bless America!

JEMASCOLA, Jan 8, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question