program design

Discussion in 'Software' started by sammy004, Apr 2, 2004.

1. sammy004

sammy004

Can anyone tell me how I can build a program using my printer port as the wire leads and have buttons on the program where I can tringer each wire of the printer port. I wanna build some program where I can turn on my tv, stereo, DVD, VCR from the puh of a button on my computer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

sammy004, Apr 2, 2004
    1. Advertisements

2. sammy004

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

you know how to write interupt driven C code? Or design, build, and implement circuit boards?
    What you have laid out is non-trvial. And even if you were skilled in all the areas I listed above, I still imagine it'd take a whole year to do.
    But heres a general overview
    Step 1) Design the circuit board. This would require a circuit that could sense 120V AC, optoisolate the current from the circuitry, then a circuit to take 12V DC and drive a switching regulator ( a very large one to handle the 120V AC).
    2) On windows you'd have to write this in either a newer version of VB or C so you can drive the interrupts on the parallel port. This is so you can manually address pins and force them high and low for set intervals. On Linux you may be able to do it with a scripting language and Linuxs native ability to write data to ports.

This is a very, VERY broad overview.
    I don't mean to make your project seem un-doable, its not. You could do it. It would be non-trivial. If you really want to do it, I recommend picking up some VB .NET books and Visual Basic Studio, and take some circuitry classes at your local community college, along with some VB classes.

Fenis-Wolf, Apr 2, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question