Problems with CSS and Win7

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Feartheterp, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Feartheterp

Feartheterp noob! VIP Member

Hello everyone!

As the topic states I am having a problem with the game CSS (Counter Strike: Source) and Win7. I am hoping somone here has experience with both.

For starters here is the run down of the Laptop I am trying to game on:

HP Pavilion dv6-1280US
    AMD Turion Mobile x2 @2.4ghz
    6 gigs of ram
    ATI Radeon 4650HD with 1GB dedicated video memory

Also if this matters my Windows Experience Index is a 5.2
    Processor: 5.2
    Memory: 6.1
    Desktop Performance for Aero: 6.6
    Gaming Graphics: 6.6
    Primary hard disk: 5.9

The Windows Experience Index is on a scale of 1.0 to 7.9

So I believe as far as CSS requirements go, I should be well above them!
    Here is my issue though;
    Whenever I try and play things will be fine for a good five secs. For people who know the game I run the command net_graph 3. I am getting 150+ fps. On the Steam Video Stress Test I perform at 170fps average. Well as I am playing when I come into the server I will be getting like 1 to 2 lose or choke but goes down after five secs of being in the server. As the round starts though when the server says "prepare to fight" or so forth I will lagg in the middle of that. Commonly when I shoot my pistol, as I rapid fire a couple shots in a few secs it laggs up and fps drops and get a bit of choke. If I quick switch my weapons really fast it will also freeze for a second. It seems to me almost like a sound lagg.

Now I have Win7 updated completely. As well as I have gone to ATI and downloaded the latest drivers and catalyst for my card. Also I have a 20MB per second internet connection and a 3mb upload. Speedtest.net even confirms this.

What is the issue with Counter Strike Source. It does this for everything on the Half Life 2 engine. Could my laptop be getting to hot or what?

I am open to any suggestions! Thanks

Feartheterp, Apr 10, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. Feartheterp

Codex85 Mouse Potato VIP Member

I'd suggest using Steam's built-in defragmenter for the game content--for CSS, HL2, and any episodes you have installed. Source Engine games have a habit of becoming fragmented, which results in just that sort of occasional stuttering and no other symptoms.

Codex85, Apr 10, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. Feartheterp

Nickweb Resident Filmaker Moderator

To me it sounds like a sound issue, I get it sometimes with certain games, especially with COD4, also had it with steam games too.

Hopefully a good defrag will de-clutter the files for you and just double check the sound drivers for good luck

Nickweb, Apr 10, 2010
  4. Feartheterp

medbor THQ Noob

I also would call sound the problem. you can disable harware acceleration on your soundcard perhaps, or disable it all together in device manager, just to see if its that (you will then have no sound until you re-enable it). do you play other games (not on the dource engine) over the internet, or single player for that matter. have you ever dropped the computer (weird stuff can happen after a few months if you have)?

medbor, Apr 10, 2010
  5. Feartheterp

I have been doing some research online and people have said to play the game with your sound disabled and if it doesnt lagg then its something with that. How do I go about turning my sound off?

I used to play cod4 modern warfare and crysis with no problems on single player. Ran really smooth and on high

6. Feartheterp

medbor THQ Noob

right click 'computer' and choose 'manage', and in the left part you find 'device manager', and find your way to 'sound, video and game controllers'. in the sub-tree you will find your sound device and you can right-click it and choose disable (there might be more entries there so try them all)

Hope this helps

medbor, Apr 10, 2010
  7. Feartheterp

Okay so I even reinstalled steam and all my games last night. I tried the disabling sounds and it seemed to lagg a little less but still hung up every once in a while but I think it was just less noticable with sound but I was owning haha. Any other suggestions? I feel as though my laptop shouldn't lagg at all. What else could it be? A heat issue?

I even just played modern warfare 2 on steam free trial weekend and played it fine with no lagg. I don't understand this. I'm even going to defrag all my files for it even though I just re-installed it. Thanks again guys

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  8. Feartheterp

medbor THQ Noob

Except for the usual (see below) im totally empty as of now, but i will sleep on it (again) and perhaps come up with something.

In 'computer management', as in the post before, you can check 'event viewer'/'windows logs'/'system' if there is any 'errors/critical' in the last few days and what they are about

the usual:
    restart computer (not hibernate/sleep), updating drivers (check manufacturer of your laptop's homepage), run antivirus/malware scans and other stuff. lastly if nothing else helps; reinstall windows, and if this is also unsuccessful probably harware related (which usually is visible in the 'system log' above)

medbor, Apr 11, 2010
  9. Feartheterp

Core in pounce mode Moderator

are you playing over wired or wireless?
    did you have these problems with vista? or did css play fine on vista? or xp or w/e you used on the lappy before...
    may wanna look into the eax settings or whatever they're called....surround settings and whatnot. i don't know how microsoft reworked the audio layer on windows with vista, but some games just don't handle it very well... i've encountered games before that wouldn't run normally unless the sound settings were just right..

Core, Apr 11, 2010
  10. Feartheterp

Well I have never played css on this laptop. I never had a good enough connection but now I have a 20mbps connection.

I'm not to sure how to access the sound settings. Although when I do disable my sound I don't lagg and I ownnn haha

Another small update; I lagg in every half life engine game, that goes for half life 1 engine and half two engine games( CS 1.6, CZ, HL, DOD, DOD:S, CSS, TF, TF2, all of them)

Could it be a port forwarding issue? I have never had to open up ports so I am not really sure. I have the login to my router and I am looking at the port forwarding section. I don't want to mess anything up.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
    Feartheterp, Apr 11, 2010
  11. Feartheterp

kmcmaggroup

I suggest you turn off the SOUNDS. Windows 7 has some kind of issue regarding that problem. I also experience that lag spike playing Heroes of Newerth, using Windows 7. I just turned off the game sounds and it goes back again to normal like on using XP.

kmcmaggroup, May 13, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question