Problem with Comcast Internet

Discussion in 'Networking and Internet' started by JEMASCOLA, Dec 17, 2009.

1. JEMASCOLA

JEMASCOLA VIP Member

For the past ten plus days, I've been having problems with my Comcast signal. I have a Scientific Atlanta modem from Comcast, and I've noticed that around the same time I had my problems, the "PC" light constantly blinks (the "Power" and "Cable" lights hold steady as they should be and always have). I've done some research, and apparently, the "PC" light blinking is usually not a problem, but it's weird in my case because I just can't seem to get the internet.

My laptop and my dad's computer are hooked up to a hub normally, and the Comcast modem is plugged in there as well (normally), and usually, we've had no problems (although whenever one of us turn on our computer, we have to "power cycle" the modem so we can connect, as the other computer "stole" the signal). Anyway, I wondered if the hub had something to do with it, so I plugged my Ethernet cable directly into the modem. I still had problems. I then switched Ethernet cables to see if that would make a difference. Ultimately, it did not.

I called Comcast, and the lady on the other line did something (maybe sent a reset signal), and my internet worked fine for a few days after that (but I still got the blinking "PC" light). But then, my connection just died. Since then, I haven't really had a connection to the internet (I'm typing this at the library).

Now here's the weirdest thing of all - my dad says his internet works fine! When I'm not using the internet, he plugs his modem into the computer, and he doesn't seem to have any problems (although the "PC" light still blinks).

So basically, what do you think the problem could be? My dad's internet seems to work, and mine does not - regardless of the hub situation and regardless of what cable I use. A reset signal was apparently sent once, and that solved my problem for a few days until I had problems again. What will happen is I'll be on the internet, and I'll start to see some signs that the connection might be getting weak (seeing the "spinning wheels" in tabs, for instance), but the pages still seem to load fairly fine, and then, maybe the internet will do fine for a while and then just suddenly go out on me out of the blue. I don't know what the problem could be.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

JEMASCOLA, Dec 17, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. JEMASCOLA

Zeus Moderator

I would say replace the hub with a router. Most internet companies allow you a single IP address. If you have multiple computers hooked up, the all get the same IP address causing the random outages (IP confilcts). A router will take the 1 IP address from your ISP and keep it, then it will give all the computers their own IP addresses so everyone can be online at the same time. If your laptop has wireless you can setup wireless on the router and not have to plug in every time.

I would also get them to send another reset signal before hooking up the router so that the router gets all of the setting correctly.

Also for your problem go to the cmd prompt and type ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew

Zeus, Dec 17, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. JEMASCOLA

JEMASCOLA VIP Member

My dad and I have used this "system" for the last few years, and we've never had any problems with it. This issue only started with me a few days ago. However, I will look into it.

Also, going slightly off-topic - just make things clear, it's not a situation where my computer says I'm connected but can't access the internet - my computer doesn't pick up a signal either, so yeah.

JEMASCOLA, Dec 17, 2009
  4. JEMASCOLA

Zeus Moderator

Well the "system" you described could be "fixed" with a router ;). And since you aren't saying you are connected at all, I would say update your NIC drivers and if that doesn't work your NIC could be going bad.

Zeus, Dec 17, 2009
  5. JEMASCOLA

JEMASCOLA VIP Member

Okay, thanks :)

JEMASCOLA, Dec 21, 2009
  6. JEMASCOLA

rick99

I had similar problems with Comcast, where they'd do some kind of a remore "reset" which cleared things up for a few days, then problem came back. Called Comcast again, did another reset, back in business. 3rd time, they asked me to reset their equipment in the house which I did, cleared it up. Next time I told them they need to send someone out on site; they ended up swapping out the router which they said was oudated (they had provided). Been good ever since...but who realy knows what they did, if in fact it was just the router issue.

rick99, Oct 21, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question