Printer. Lexmark. Printer. Laserjet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Core, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Core

Core in pounce mode Moderator

Ok. About one year ago, I bought a Lexmark X1270 from Wal-Mart for $30. It's an AIO printer and has been working just fine for a year. And it still works, there's just one problem with it (aside from the resource hog software it comes with): it has an extremely poor printed sheets >< ink cartridges ratio. This was not an issue before I started college, but now that I have, and have a lot more to print, it's faring not so greatly. It's already complaining that it's low on black and I just bought a cartridge for it less than two weeks ago. WTF?! :x

This irritates me because I printed quite a lot on our old HP 2110 and even though it had its problems, I only had to buy ink for it 1-2 per year. This Lexmark crap is ridiculous.

I have been looking at printers and there seems to be very little information in their reviews about how many pages per cartridge you get out of them. I wonder if there is a term for it that I should be looking for.

95% of my printing is in black and white, so I am wondering if a b&w laserjet would be something to consider. As I understand it, the ink charges for a laserjet are more expensive, but in terms of prints per cartridge you get a lot more out of them. This was the case about ten years ago, anyway. Is this still true today?

I wonder if laserjets have gotten any more reasonably priced. I'm going to be printing a lot for school and I feel like I'm just pissing my money away with this Lexmark POS.

Core, Sep 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Core

Codex85 Mouse Potato VIP Member

You could also start getting your cartridges refilled, instead of buying new ones. It costs about $10 at Wallgreens.

Codex85, Sep 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Core

spike228 ST 38 VIP Member

I highly suggest that you dump the lexmark printer. Those things cause nothing but headaches. The printers themselves are disposable, not the cartridges. Its going to end up costing you more anyways.

You might as well invest in a better printer (HP and cannon come to mind) that works more efficiently and uses cheaper ink cartridges that last longer. I would definitely go with the laserjet.

spike228, Sep 15, 2007
  4. Core

Core in pounce mode Moderator

I bought a Brother laser printer and it's awesome.

Core, Sep 17, 2007
  5. Core

spike228 ST 38 VIP Member

Congrats! Now take out all your anger on the lexmark printer and record it's violent distruction for us :)

spike228, Sep 17, 2007
  6. Core

Zeus Moderator

I like the way you think.

Zeus, Sep 17, 2007
  7. Core

Fenis-Wolf VIP Member

I've heard good things about the Brothers. Just be aware that on the cheaper laserjet models (Lexmark, Brother, and a few other manufacturers) the print head will require replacing after a certain number of prints-tpyically around 4 cartriges worth-and its usually cheaper to get another 100 dollar printer than to replace the head.

Fenis-Wolf, Sep 17, 2007
  8. Core

Dave601 Web Guru VIP Member

If you haven't seen the movie Office Space, you should, and if you have, then you should do what they do to your Lexmark.

Dave601, Sep 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question